The climate emergency is here. The world as we know it is running out of time and the window for small, incremental action has closed. Instead, we need an emergency-level response to avert climate catastrophe—and leaders with the courage and mandate to take bold action. Our critical window of opportunity to sound the alarm is ever-narrowing and the time to act is now.
ACE’s mission is to educate, inspire and support young people to lead the fight for their future. We achieve our mission by reaching tens of millions of young people with our programs each year, training a new generation of leaders, amplifying youth voices to shift the narrative, and increasing diverse youth participation in our democracy.
Our staff and board members are dynamic, diverse and talented, and our team is currently growing to meet this critical moment of opportunity.
ACE is an evidence-based, nimble, and adaptive organization that routinely evaluates our landscape of digital tools and tactics based on measured impact. The Digital Operations Manager will play a key role in making sure this evolving operation runs smoothly by helping ACE Staff stay up-to-date on how to use our digital communications tools for maximum effect.
The Data Engineeris primarily responsible for managing ACE’s databases located in it’s data warehouse, maintaining data integrity and delivering in a timely and accurate dashboards and ad hoc information requests from various stakeholders. The role will provide breakthrough insights that would power our outreach among students, teachers and young people at large.
This is a full-time position based remotely anywhere in the United States. The Data Engineerwill work from home, meet as required by video chat with teams and have weekly national full staff meetings and departmental meetings with colleagues online. This position reports to the Associate Data Director . Travel will be required to departmental meetings, staff retreats, and other events when safe.
Great candidates will have some of the skills and experience listed below:
- You are highly organized, and can appreciate the elegance of a well-utilized project tracking table with detailed status fields.
- You have a rigorous eye for detail, and are unable to ignore any out-of-place minutiae such as misplaced commas, extra spaces, or misconfigured settings.
- Thrive in a fast paced agile organization, where we are trying out new ideas, building out new processes and growing rapidly in data complexity
- You are aware of general best-practices for data management and data visualizations,
- You have the empathy and patience to communicate complex technical information in clear and precise language, and the curiosity to find out if your audience fully understands your message.
- You have excellent English fluency
- Maintain all data integrations and pipelines that carry information to and from the warehouse and Salesforce, ACE’s CRM. These include SQL scripts and workflows, APIs, uploads and third-party tools such as Integromat and Zapier.
- Develop scalable data pipelines, as needed, making sure they blend seamlessly with the existing data architecture.
- Monitor the warehouse and integrations to ensure high functionality, spotting potential problems before they impact programs. Be able to analyze upstream and downstream effects of changes in existing data structures.
- Routinely fix errors in data pipelines as well as develop processes to catch and fix errors automatically.
- Develop, maintain and improve existing process flows.
- Document changes to the data infrastructure and maintain existing documentation.
- Collaborate with key staff on the campaigns and fundraising operations teams and external partners, vendors or consultants to determine and implement solutions to data problems.
- Provide technical expertise and input on the strategic direction to meet data needs.
- Write new support programs and scripts to fix data problems.
- Create new scripts and data models as needed to help meet ACE’s strategic plan goals.
- Contribute to the Growth team’s racial justice and equity work and help ensure an inclusive organizational culture.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Data Administration
- Manage ACE’s ETL pipes connecting to Salesforce and our data warehouse in Big Query or similar systems. Establish data norms to ensure accurate flows and work with team members to ensure compliance.
- Write, maintain and modify our SQL queries and APIs
- Create dashboards that monitor and alert issues with data integrity and fix as they arise
- Systems Integration
- Work with contractors and third party services to create a 360 degree view of our members and how they engage with us across our different properties.
The ideal candidate for this role will be excited to take on a challenge, self-motivated with oodles of initiative and persistence, and have the following experiences and skills sets:
- At least 5 years of experience working with relational databases in a data role and 3 years working with a data warehouse. Experience with SQL scripts and workflows, APIs or other data interfaces, Salesforce, Big Query or a similar
- Desirable: Familiarity with Machine Learning/ AI or Digital Marketing
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a working administrative knowledge of multiple databases and to document and communicate technical information to a non-technical audience. Must be able to juggle requests from multiple colleagues at the same time and be able to do both the technical work and the customer service interfacing required of this role.
- Excellent English Fluency
- Solid judgment;
- attentive to detail;
- critical thinking skills;
- a sense of teamwork and community;
- highly organized;
- Demonstrates the curiosity to research/learn new tools and professional skills and stay on top of trends in data analytics.
- An understanding of marketing trends and tools and how they work.
- Demonstrates excellent presentation and documentation skills
- Possesses strong analytical and communication skills
- Is passionate about climate justice and environmental protection
- We have no formal education requirements
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship.
- Schedule: Full-time, Work Eastern Standard time to Pacific Standard time hours
- Annual salary range: $40,000 USD commensurate with experience
- ACE is an equal opportunity employer that highly values staff diversity
- Location: Remote ( international applicants are welcome and will be hired through a Employer of Record based in their country of residence)