What we value
We believe in hiring people that want a chance to do their best work. We believe driven engineers operate best in high-trust, small, cross-functional teams who work together with the rest of the business to bring value to our customers.
We believe great engineering happens in great teams that value improvement, curiosity and continuous learning. We align as a business on the challenges we need to solve and trust teams solve them in the best possible way.
We value experimentation, failing fast and being bold. We practice continuous delivery and fast iteration. We hate politics, gate-keeping, unfairness and toxic behaviour. We believe in transparency, even when it’s unflattering. We believe in honesty, even when it’s uncomfortable. We treat failure as a learning opportunity. We believe in ethical and responsible business practices and having a positive impact on the environment and our communities.
What you will be working on
The Navigators team owns the delivery of platform configuration, security, workspaces, collaboration and sharing as part of their overall SaaS offering for B2B clients.
On the engineering side the team consists of 2 front-end developers, 4 back-end developers and a tester. You will be building solutions in React and talking to our Rails API (REST and GraphQL). You will work with dedicated UX designers and be involved in all aspects of planning and delivering that functionality to users.
You will be part of the architecture decisions and collaborate with many team members. We endorse pair programming and support anyone to go Full Stack.
- You should be very comfortable articulating HTML, JS ES6 (also typescript), and CSS.
- You should understand the essential concepts such as transpiling, bundling (specifically with webpack), minifying and packaging.
- You should demonstrate strong knowledge in react, redux and graphQL (preferred Apollo) or any other modern framework.
- You must be familiar with writing automated tests, it would be preferred with Jest and Cypress or any other equivalent.
- You should have a good understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- You should have some exposure to Continuous Integration pipelines (Jenkins, Circle, Docker,...).
- You will need to be able to demonstrate characteristics of a senior engineer (this is generally more than 3-4 years experience)
- You are able to demonstrate how you add value to a team as a senior engineer, and what you expect from a high performing team.
- You have the right to work in the location advertised or in any of our supported remote working countries
- Competitive pay scales that are benchmarked annually – this is not something we just say in job descriptions. You shouldn’t have to leave to earn what you’re worth
- Tailored personal development through training allowances (for courses, conferences, etc), coaching, mentorship and career frameworks
- Unlimited holidays – we encourage people to take plenty of leave
- Flexible working arrangements, including remote (unless otherwise specified)
- Thoughtfully designed offices to support both individual work and collaboration without interrupting others
- Generous hardware budget – get what works for you
- Support setting up your home office, if appropriate (chair + desk, etc)
- Wellbeing benefits such as free yoga and access to trained therapists / counsellors
- Paid 24h secure parking in Cape Town
Zappi is an equal opportunities employer; our diversity is a major strength. We maintain a constant dialogue with our teams and wider communities about how we can become a more inclusive place to work.