About engineering at Carbon
Our Platform teams utilise their software and systems engineering skills to both build up and mentor others, have a toolbox for troubleshooting distributed systems, and are responsible for building and maintaining the tools we are missing. We drive the overall strategy and direction of engineering excellence in service reliability, observability, infrastructure management and incident response.
- We are great collaborators
- We embrace every opportunity to automate
- We are confident to advocate for doing the right thing
- We are flexible life-long learners who embrace new challenges and new tools
- We can have open, honest and respectful conversations in everything we do
- Design, build and maintain our constantly evolving platform, infrastructure and services that run Carbon
- Teach and collaborate with others how to run production systems with confidence and autonomy
- Remain comfortable supporting teams with expertise in the areas of deployment, infrastructure configuration, scalability in all parts of the stack
- Help cultivate the engineering organisation e.g. engineer interviews, peer mentoring and technical evangelism
- Apply modern software engineering practices including writing and reviewing code
- Carry the pager, be on-call for the underlying platform used by other engineers
Life at Carbon
We are a growing team, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions in Financial Services in the African continent. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help our customers to grow as their needs change?
How can we predict what someone wants to support their life objective long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Carbon, these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Carbon we know that people are the heart of the business and we priorities their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be.
That means we have no judgement when it comes to any of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coffee. All you need is a passion for technology and a desire to be part of one of the fastest-growing start-ups in the African continent. We’re keen to ensure we redesigning a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
What are we looking for?
You will be expected to work with the rest of QA team to own the overall quality of the container-based microservices we produce and working with the wider team to ensure a seamless experience for the users of our customer-facing products. You will need to drive the automation using sound testing principles to ensure all functional and non-functional requirements are all consistently met.
As part of the role you will:
- Communicate with developer and PO to enhance Acceptance Criteria.
- Create test cases.
- Perform API testing using Postman (JSON and XML).
- Use Kibana to track errors.
- Create supporting QA documentation for new features.
- Mentor Junior QA engineers.
- Produce test plan for any feature under test.
- Develop & Automate end to end tests using the test framework.
You should apply if:
- the work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- you’re passionate about Financial Services.
- you’re familiar with some of our Platform or Frontend technologies or specialize in just one part.
- you want to help build, scale and operate a platform to support a product that you (and everyone you know) use or will use every day.
- you’re keen to learn more about new technologies and the arcane inner workings of the financial industry.
- you’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity.
- you’re passionate about writing high-quality code and automating everything that can be automated in distributed systems and frontend products.
We are looking for candidates who can meet the following criteria - We want to emphasis that we don’t expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in at least one area.
- Design, develop and execute test plans and test cases.
- Build and improve the Automation Framework.
- Provide leadership and mentorship for automation testing in the company.
- Define, compose, and evaluate test plans for our platform and frontend products.
- Translate business requirements into functional tests.
- Implement and maintain automation scripts.
- Contribute to functional, integration, performance, and regression testing.
- Define and adhere to quality initiatives.
- Provide metrics and results from all testing efforts that will support business decisions.
- Work closely with engineering and product management to ensure quality in any release.
- Update testing strategies appropriately.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in QA automation.
- Knowledge of the Selenium and Appium test tools.
- Experience with test automation framework such as TestNG, Cucumber, etc.
- Knowledge of mobile emulators and mobile operating systems.
- Knowledge of virtual and emulated mobile test environments.
- Experience with QA-related tools for requirements management, test management, and defect tracking.
- Experience in a Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery test environment.
- Proficient in Agile development methodologies (e.g., Kanban, Scrum) and processes.
- API testing experience, either JSON and XML (both is a bonus).
- Manual and Automation testing knowledge.
- Confidence in writing acceptance criteria.
- An understanding of the development lifecycle, software release process and defect management.
- Exceptional analysis, reporting and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of estimating work.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a coding task and call to discuss it, and 1-2 hours of final interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. We might design a QA automation test together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one.