Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for hardworking Ruby developers’ support us in reaching the next level.
By joining our team, there is the opportunity to work on many of our various Ruby projects with a team of highly skilled Ruby experts from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible with Ruby every single day. Do you want to help push us further? Then, please apply!
The bulk of the work we do daily is pure back-end development, but occasionally some new UI has to be wired up, so some front-end skills certainly won’t hurt. We don’t cut corners or make compromises—we build beautifully designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby code which is easy to maintain and debug.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features.
- Review the work of colleagues.
- As a phenomenal teammate, continuously improve our team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide expert feedback, and continuously improve as a professional.
In the first week you will:
- Meet mentors that will help you during the onboarding month.
- Set up your dev environment.
- Shadow in a talent recruitment call to see the essence of Toptal business model.
In the first month you will:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns and libraries we use and develop.
- Get general knowledge of Toptal business.
In the first three months you will:
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team
- Review code written by your colleagues.
In the first six months you will:
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
In the first year you will:
- Meet your team in person during off-site.
- Give and receive 360 feedback in a yearly review cycle
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a proven grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing essential methodologies.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them in, and decide on the best course of action.
- Grow with providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.