Who are we?
Umoja Microfinance exists to serve and empower people to build brighter futures together. Umoja means “unity” in Swahili. We are in this together, and together, we can learn, grow, and transform lives. We serve our shareholders, our board, our team, and most importantly, our clients. We believe in service one step beyond. We are focused on improving lives through financial inclusion for all people. History has shown it “takes money to make money”. By providing the initial step up to those in need we believe we can break the cycle of poverty and empower a new generation of entrepreneurs and leaders in their communities. We aim to transform the Microfinance industry by pursuing excellence in all we do. Transformation isn’t easy; but we are committed to excellence!
We are hiring!
We now have an exciting opportunity for the right person to join our team as our Tech Product Manager. Reporting to the CEO, the Tech Product Manager will be either based in Kampala, Uganda full time or if based remotely will be required to travel regularly to Kampala, Uganda (monthly). This role will lead the development of the businesses’ overall software development and digital strategy, implementation and the delivery of multiple software solutions across the business, by ensuring consistency in delivery approach. The role will work to continuously develop and enhance the business’s digital services, software, processes and distribution channels while growing an enthusiastic and talented team. The Tech Product Manager will be responsible for meeting the company's technological objectives through digital transformation, process efficiency, improved customer experience and a more effective product range.
Overall responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
· The role will define the direction of the overall software strategy for the business, coordinating and managing the design, implementation and delivery of the same to help drive our business forward.
· This will include:
i. Software infrastructure: Provide an infrastructure vision that will enable innovation which will develop software solutions that create business value
ii. Supplement innovations in current product services – using digital tools and software to improve customer service and internal end user experiences.
iii. Launch new digital products and services – plan for and design the company’s new digital product offering
· The role will be required to regularly asses internal digital transformation opportunities prioritizing product development, customer experience, process efficiencies or cost saving benefits.
· The role will need to drive and lead innovations that can best support the organization’s current and future needs.
· The role will oversee and coordinate with all third-party Dev Shop’s in conjunction with the current and future employees working in IT and software development and/or maintenance.
· Provide advice on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems. Support the Executive Management team in negotiating all Software related contracts, including involvement and participation of other management team members and/or Dev shop’s as appropriate.
· Provide responsive advice, counsel, education and service to Management on all Technical and software related issues and trends.
· Design, develop and maintain an up to date and effective website for the organisation that conveys the company’s culture, values and services in a modern and innovative manner.
· Develop and Communicate Software development plans, policies and trends throughout the organization, including management groups and with employees.
· Support in the overall ongoing and future management of cyber security and data protection related matters.
· Provide a quality service to end users in needs analysis, solution recommendation, vendor selection, implementation, training, and post-installation support on all technical related matter.
· Ensure that enterprise and MFI systems operate according to internal standards, external regulatory standards, and legal requirements.
· Responsible for the development, motivation and retention of a talented and enthusiastic software maintenance and IT team.
· Responsible for ensuring team members are continuously learning, developing their technical skills and keeping up to date with industry trends and innovations.
· To lead by example at all times upholding the Company values and creating a culture of inclusivity and excellence.
What Skills and Qualifications will we be looking for?
● A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or a related field.
● Proven and progressive experience in managing a technical function within the microfinance industry
● Proven experience in programming language, including database experience
● Experienced in AWS, Node.js, react, Graphql, mongoDB, Google Play, GitHub, and apollo server.
● Full Stack developer Experience.
● Experience should also include substantial exposure to both in-house and shared or out-sourced systems, multiple hardware platforms, and integrated information and communications systems.
● Experience in digital transformation of Microfinance institutions is highly desirable
● Must have excellent knowledge of and expertise in digital financial services as well as hands-on knowledge of a range of the following: mobile money, digital payments, mobile banking, POS/cards, agent banking, data and business intelligence platforms, core microfinance systems, digital field applications.
● Strong experience managing transformation projects from start to finish, gathering user requirements through prototypes to actual delivery. Valuable experience will include project managing a microfinance services software or product launch from inception and product design to pilot and commercial launch, working across multiple teams in the business to deliver project KPIs
● Experience of data driven design and the production of effective management information.
● Experience delivering change activities and working effectively with senior management.
● Strong business analysis skills and an understanding of open source and open standards.
● Excellent written and verbal communication (fully fluent in English)
● Strong Interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to all levels of the user community
If you think you fit this profile and would like to apply you can do so by emailing your up-to-date CV and Covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th July 2022. Please note that:
● Only applications received within the above deadline will be considered.
● You will never be asked for any payment at any stage in our recruitment process.
● Only candidates successfully selected to attend our interview process will be contacted due to the high volume of applications we usually receive.
Umoja Microfinance is an equal opportunities employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by state or local laws.