Commitment & Contract
Full-time or part-time, depending on your preferences. Permanent or fixed-term, depending on seniority.
Milan, Italy or remote. We offer substantial support for relocation, including finding an apartment in Milan and paying the rent for 12 weeks. You’re also welcome to work remotely, or part on-site, part-remote.
With tens of millions of active users and hundreds of thousands of daily downloads, we’re one of Europe’s leading app developers. We’re looking for a talented, experienced, and passionate native Android developer eager to help us make the best apps on the Play Store and contribute to improving our technology stack.
A few examples of your responsibilities:
- Write quality code that’s testable and maintainable. You understand the benefits of code that’s clean and idiomatic.
- Follow best practices in terms of coding style, Git usage, commit messages, pull requests, and team conventions.
- Perform code reviews and play an active part in tech discussions.
- Work on apps, libraries, or tooling, depending on your skills and preferences.
- Make proposals to improve our tech stack, libraries, and tooling.
- Contribute to the product development of the apps you’ll work on. We’re all about taking a proactive role and ownership of your work.
- Help define the software architecture of entire apps or new features—and then develop them. The work spans a broad range, from engineering and coding features to polishing world-class user interfaces.
- Constantly improve the quality of our products by fixing bugs and refactoring the code base where necessary, as well as adding that wow factor to put smiles on our users’ faces.
- Stay up-to-speed with new technologies (particularly on Android), and test the promising ones to make sure we don’t miss out on game-changing opportunities.
What We Offer
- Huge impact. You’ll be working on apps used by millions of people all around the world. The quality of your work will make a decisive difference—both to the users and to Bending Spoons as a whole.
- Talented, knowledgeable colleagues. You’ll get the chance to learn from—and teach—some of the brightest and most skilled people you’ll ever meet. Your talent is going to blossom here.
- Cool tech stack. We strive to use the best, most modern tools and technologies, and when they fall short of our expectations we invent our own. It’s a geek’s paradise.
- Own products. We don’t work for clients—we only develop our own apps. Freed from client-provider politics, we can move fast and be daring.
- People who lift each other up. We hire for talent and leave divas at the door. You'll find a group of truly talented Spooners who are eager to learn and teach their secrets. Reciprocal support and respect is everything—you’re unlikely to ever encounter a more harmonious crew.
- Continuous education. We pay for your Italian/English language lessons and offer an unlimited book budget, but that's not where it ends. If you make a good case for some extra learning, we're delighted to foot the tab.
- Remote working. Spend as much or as little time in our Milan office as you choose (even no time at all, if you’d prefer). Many Spooners like to change up their environment and get out of the city whenever the mood strikes. Every day, you’ve got the freedom to decide where today’s office is.
- Flexible schedule. Our regular hours are 9-6 GMT+1, but this isn’t a “clock in, clock out” company. Morning person? Start work while the world’s still sleeping. Night owl? Ramp things up while others are winding down. You’re fully trusted to create the right conditions for your own personal peak productivity. We only ask that you’re available to your teammates a good chunk of the day. That’s why it’s generally best to be based somewhere with a similar time zone—between GMT-2 and GMT+3.
- Unlimited vacations. Take all the time you need to recharge your batteries—no permission process or vacation allowance here. Because a rested, relaxed, and refreshed Spooner is a happy and effective Spooner.
- Top of the market salary and stock options. Our total compensation is highly competitive and can grow rapidly and include stock options, depending on your performance.
- Lots. Of. Fun. Our incredible People Operations team organizes awesome events, such as team games, yoga classes, parties, and regular company-wide retreats. Recent destinations include Bali, Argentina, and Tanzania.
- Top-notch HQ. Natural light, silent rooms, state-of-the-art hardware, fun-filled common spaces... the list never ends! You’ll certainly be in the right environment to do your best work. And, when it’s time to switch off, you can do that in style and comfort.
- Relocation package. To ease your move to Milan (if you decide to relocate), the first three months of rent are on us. Visa support is provided for those who need it.
What We Look For
- Passion for the subject. You have a long-standing, proven passion for writing software. It’s a big plus if you have a demonstrated interest in developing native Android apps.
- Reasoning and depth of learning. You’re structured and creative enough to solve most challenging problems independently, given the necessary knowledge. You learn new concepts and skills rapidly, and love to nerd out and go in-depth.
- Drive. You’re energetic, hard-working, and persevere through adversity until the job is done—and done impeccably. You’re massively into getting results and always aim for excellence in what you do.
- Curiosity and initiative. You love exploring and you’re entrepreneurial in hunting down new opportunities and testing ideas. You seek—you don’t just wait to be told what to do.
- A knack for UX and attention to detail. You care about developing quality user experiences, and notice the details that make a difference. You get a kick out of making a UI or an animation just perfect.
- Diligence, organization. You can be entrusted with responsibilities big and small.
- Humility. You’re down to earth, eager to listen to feedback and constructive criticism, and ready to get your hands dirty with whatever the team needs to succeed.
- Proficiency in English. You read and write proficiently, and speak at a conversational level in English.
The Recruiting Process
If you successfully pass through our screening process, we’ll invite you to take on a few tests that assess how you approach and solve unfamiliar problems. These tests don’t require any prior knowledge, and they should take a few hours to complete. If you’re successful there, we’ll invite you to some interviews—normally two or three—to get to know each other and figure out if it’s a good fit for both parties. The interviews are held remotely, and include some behavioral and problem-solving questions. To limit arbitrariness and human bias, all Bending Spoons hiring decisions are made by a hiring committee.
Bending Spoons is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, disability. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Spooners come from all over the world and English is our working language. We welcome applications in English or Italian—whichever suits you best!