We’re looking for a humble, but ambitious, razor-sharp Back-End Engineering technical leader to join the management of the Engineering team at SafeBoda. The Back End Technical Lead will help senior management drive the technical vision, architectural guidance, and provide leadership for a team of Elixir and PHP engineers in an innovative and fast-paced environment. We are currently building our teams in 3 cities - Kampala, Nairobi, and Ibadan as well as engineers who work remotely.
What you will do
- Ownership and accountability for the back-end software development across the SafeBoda product suite
- Work closely with the rest of the tech leads and product managers to ensure we're building awesome, feature-rich, scalable, and secure product lines, products, and features
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a distributed back-end engineering team to perform at a high level and deliver world-class products
- Recruit, develop, and scale a talented technology team committed to developing innovative solutions aligned with the company’s business model, values, and vision
- Utilize performance review cycles to reiterate expectations and discuss methods to achieve and exceed them
- Act as a strong advocate for quality in the product development process for software engineering
- Partner with the executive team to align long term technical strategy with product strategy
- 4 - 8 years experience managing successful engineering teams (remote-based a plus) including hiring/terminations and performance management
- An outstanding communicator, the role will require providing updates directly to the C level.
- Degree in Computer Science or any related field
- Proven work experience as a Back-end developer. In-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development, and deployment)
- Hands-on experience with programming languages like Java, Ruby, PHP, and Python, Elixir
- Knowledge of current trends in software design, architecture, and web services
- Works comfortably in a collaborative setting, and is comfortable working with executive leadership.
- Willing to travel frequently to our engineering hubs
- English language fluency
- Be part of a passionate team that is changing the mobility landscape in Africa.
- Opportunity to travel to East Africa and interact with the product and our multi-cultural team.
- Competitive salary based on experience.