A World-Changing Company
At FreeWroad, we’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important Travel institutions in Africa to transform how they use data and technology.
As a backend engineer on the development team, you will design, develop, and test software that ensures privacy, security, and utility of FreeWroad services and products. You will engage with other FreeWroad team members to focus on the mission, and code highly reliable software that turns the mission into a reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, from development, to testing, to operation during a mission.
- Set technical direction and own the architecture and implementation of features
- Lead a group of engineers and cross-functional team members in the implementation of new and existing features
- Provide clear and concise communication regarding feature development statuses to the team and stakeholders
- Define and adhere to internal coding standards, development processes, and design best practices
- Empower team members - including other developers as well as Technical Support - through technical mentoring, contributions to the team's documentation, libraries, and providing automation for manual tasks where appropriate
- Write and maintain clean, maintainable, and well-tested code for the future (and present) of the company’s platform
- 2+ years of work experience as a Backend Engineer/Developer
- 4+ years coding in one or more of the following languages: Java, Scala, Kotlin
- Strong experience working in AWS or other similar cloud architecture (Google Cloud Platform/Azure)
- Strong relational database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)Strong non-relational database experience (Cassandra, Redshift, DynamoDB, HDFS)BS degree in Computer Science or related fields is a plus
- You're experienced in designing and implementing application architectures and code that are highly scalable, available, maintainable, and performant
Our team has people from a variety of backgrounds—people who studied type design, computer science, psychology; people who joined FreeWroad right after university; and people who joined our team after switching industries. We value skills and mindset over a specific educational background.