Description: neu is a reliable platform that provides quality cleans, on-demand. We are a US-based (Seattle, WA) startup, building a marketplace that connects Airbnb/vacation-rental hosts with subcontracted, local cleaners who can clean the home before guests check-in. We’ve been operating successfully in the Seattle market for over 3 years and are looking to expand. We’re looking for engineers to help with that effort. We’re offering an incredible opportunity to be a part of a talented and diverse team and operate on the front lines.
Engineering Culture: Agile, Remote, & Talented. Neu has a small (but growing) team of talented engineers, working full time remotely, with 2/3s of engineers based in Nigeria. We are a progressive eng team leveraging the newest tech such as Kubernetes, Docker, Typescript, React/Redux, Postgres, etc. We practice agile dev practices including standups, backlog tasks, time costing, etc. If all of this sounds interesting to you then we encourage you to apply.
Title: Backend/FullStack Engineer
About this position:
Being passionate about a healthy codebase, maintainable architectures, and mentoring other engineers will make it easy for you to be successful in this role. You will work with a variety of technologies including Docker/Containers and Typescript and Postgres. Solid understanding of Microservices is a big plus for this position.
During your first month in this role, you will:
- Learn by doing with your team. Upon your start you will be assigned to one of our existing initiatives. You will learn our codebase and our technologies with pairing and contributing solutions to the problems you're tasked with working on.
- Discover our process, practices, and career map. Throughout your first month you’ll learn about our practices & process; the way we plan our work, retrospectives, release infrastructure, etc and you will work closely with your manager to learn about how we think about career development at neu.
Within three months, you will:
- Meaningfully Contribute. You will be responsible for owning and driving your feature or bug task to completion.
- Independently progress on major product initiatives. Once you feel comfortable with our systems, you will start owning parts of our major product initiatives. You will understand the effectiveness of your work by engaging directly with our customers (Support Team, Hosts, and Cleaners).
Within a year, you will:
- Contribute to core platform future initiatives. You will work with the team to understand our product roadmap and you will help your Core Team make the right product decisions about how we are building our features inline with our Product Roadmap.
- Help build an inclusive and high-performing culture at neu. Through your day to day actions, you will set examples for our inclusive engineering culture. You may be part of our interview loops, mentor our early career team members, and help our team grow without compromising our team’s technical and cultural balance.
- Experience with NodeJS/Typescript, Docker/Containers, Microservices, and public Clouds (AWS).
- Proficient API design and development
- Implementing CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete)
- Proficient around a MacOS/*NIX environment
- Building RESTful Services
- Proficient at protocols like gRPC, REST, GraphQL
- Database technologies like PostgreSQL
- Web server technologies like Node.js, Nginx, etc.
- Server-side frameworks like Express.js
Roles and Responsibility:
- Implement backend architecture from product launch through scale.
- Possess the ability to take a feature from scoping requirements through actual launch of the feature.
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code, quickly
- Work with a team of remote developers: be able to tackle assigned tasks, manage and track performance while collaborating w/ team members.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong Docker/Containers experience
- Excellent written, verbal, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Rigor in software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and DevOps
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Be proficient in Computer Science fundamentals in design, data structures, algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis.
- Start-up experience is a plus. Comfortable working in an agile/lean environment.
- Be hardworking. Have grit, growth mindset, and don’t be a shitty person.
- After submitting an application you’ll be provided with a link to the assessment.
- Must complete the assessment to be fully considered for the position.
- Not completing the assessment will result in disqualification.