About the role
The CFO is responsible for the financial health of the company. One of our 3 strategic pillars for 2022 is building a fortress balance sheet, and you will be critical in achieving this. We are running multiple fundraising rounds, need to drastically change our working capital approach, and we need to work towards being break-even. This requires a rethinking of our finance from being reactive, to being proactive.
Key responsibilities are:
- Determine fundraising needs, including the financial model, as well as the split between equity and debt required
- Be the right-hand (wo)man to our CEO in raising Series A and handling investor relations (incl. Preparing for board meetings)
- Secure financial resources to cover working capital requirements, for both inventory and customer credit
- Identify key financial risks (e.g., FX, integrity, working capital) and work towards mitigating these
- Ensure that all financial reporting, forecasting and budgeting is 100% on time and embedded in the day-to-day operations of various departments
- Continuously analyse our performance to the lowest level of detail, and identify opportunities to improve our financial position (FP&A)
Who you are
We are looking for someone to join our senior leadership team, and hence is more than just good with numbers. You think strategically about the direction of the company, you are a sparring partner to the CEO, and you fully buy into our mission. Compensation for this role will be partially equity-based.
On top of that, we are looking for someone who has:
- Experience being the finance lead on a fundraising round (Series A or later), or other deep experience with fundraising on the continent
- The ability to make strategic decisions about financing, such as intra-company cash flow, sources of financing and working capital
- The ability to identify financial risks and mitigate these
- Excellent data & analytics skills - advanced excel skills are a must, and BI tooling skills are preferred
- In-depth knowledge of international legal & financial structures for start-ups
- Excellent leadership skills, especially in working with other departments
- A strong commercial and analytical mindset, and the ability to identify opportunities across departments
- Excellent data & analytical skills; preferably including BI tooling skills
We believe that a great CFO can come from any industry background and there are no set #years of experience required to fill this position excellently. However, we expect the following backgrounds to be the best fit:
- CFO or Group head of Finance in a post-Series A start-up or scale-up
- Very senior in financial consulting or M&A in one of the Big-4 or MBB
- Senior in Venture Capital, Investment Banking or Private Equity (deals side)
- Must: Experience in fundraising (from the start-up perspective, or the funder-perspective)
- Must: Experience leading finance across multiple African countries, preferably including Nigeria
- Preference: proven strong affiliation with helping small business owners grow
You can be based in either Nigeria or Kenya (other locations will be considered if the candidate is an exceptional fit and is willing to travel).
PLEASE NOTE: This role requires you to take this short assessment (10 minutes) before you can upload your application. Without the assessment, your application will not be considered.
Why TopUp Mama
We are venture-backed and growing fast. We launched less than a year ago and we are already serving more than 3000 customers. You get an opportunity to jump onto the rocket ship near the ground floor. We believe that:
- Our team should grow as fast as the company. If you do well, you will have every opportunity to rocketship your career
- If we win, our team should win. Company shares are a key part of the compensation for all mid-senior hires
- Speed is a Virtue. We make decisions quickly and are not afraid of failing. We prioritize learning by doing
- Everyone is an owner of their work. We do not micromanage, only challenge. We let you own your domain and drive your work independently.
If that sounds exciting, great! Topup Mama may be the perfect place for you. But, Topup Mama is not for everyone.
- We are an early-stage start-up. It may be chaotic at times with shifting priorities
- This is not a 9-5 job. This a whatever it takes to get it done job
- This is not a place where we will tell you exactly what to do. You will be expected to manage your own work to achieve the outcomes
- We love being around our customers. If you enjoy sitting behind a desk all day, this may not the best place for you