Purpose of the job
Provide farmers with accurate yield estimation and management tools that enable them to be as productive as possible.
Cape Town (Preferable) or Remote
In order to be effective you will need to have experience with:
- Computer vision tasks like instance segmentation, image registration and depth estimation
- The mechanistic modelling of physical processes and sensor signals
- Modern software development practices for creating robust code that is delivered iteratively
- Designing, analysing and monitoring systems deployed in a cloud computing environment
Our mission at Aerobotics is to help farmers grow as efficiently and sustainably as possible. The Yield Team contributes to this by providing farmers with timely and accurate estimates of what they can expect to produce at harvest. These estimates include key information like fruit size, mass and colour that help farmers make critical decisions about how they manage their orchards, plan their harvests and sell to the market.
The estimates are produced by a pipeline that incorporates a combination of drone imagery, historical yields and agricultural domain knowledge.
- As a Computer Vision Engineer in the team your responsibility will be to contribute to the accuracy and robustness of this pipeline, utilising your skills in statistics, machine learning and software engineering.
- You will contribute to decisions and development throughout the stack, from the selection of hardware sensors and model architectures to the design of databases and the end-to-end implementation of pipeline components.
Your responsibility will be to contribute to:
- The accuracy and robustness of this pipeline, utilising your skills in statistics, machine learning and software engineering.
- The decisions and development throughout the stack, from the selection of hardware sensors and model architectures to the design of databases and the end-to-end implementation of pipeline components.
You will need to have the ability to:
- Communicate technical concepts clearly, with an excellent understanding of the fundamentals of computer vision and software development
- Rank solutions based on likelihood to succeed and reliably estimate lead times in projects
- Meaningfully contribute to the ideation stage of new projects or products from a data science perspective
- Direct and manage the work of one or two juniors on complex tasks
- Recognise when teammates need help and foster a culture of learning and self improvement
- Be productive in a high-stakes environment