Operational Intelligence, an Avantus Federal Company, a NewSpring Holdings Company, is a mission-focused services and solutions company headquartered in McLean, VA. Drawing upon its heritage companies’ histories of consistent growth and high performance in the federal services market, Avantus ensures eminence is earned, sustained and grown.
Avantus’ services and solutions are designed, tailored, and executed based on our long history of helping our Homeland Security, Defense, Intelligence, and Federal Civilian customers solve complex challenges. Our capabilities include Project & Portfolio Management, Facilities, Acquisition & Sustainment, Systems Engineering Technical Services, Operations & Analysis, Transformation & Advisory Services, Data & Software Solutions, Digital Innovation, and Augmented Intelligence.
The Data Engineer will be part of a team that consists of a Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Analytic (Full Stack) Developer. This position is contingent and expected start is Fall of 2021. This team's work is OCONUS at Camp Humphreys, South Korea.
- Discover opportunities for data acquisition, identify relevant data sources and sets and shall provide data system enhancements as required, including but not limited to product reformatting and data quality assessments to support the acquisition of new datasets.
- Design, develop, test and manage the overall architecture that helps analyze and process data in accordance with unit’s SOPs, TTPs and other such templates.
- Integrate external or new datasets into existing data pipelines.
- Process, clean, and verify the integrity, accuracy, completeness, and uniformity of data and system enhancements.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques and perform all network administration and data system operations (e.g., computer and peripheral device operations, system backups) and any related operations associated with data acquisition, data maintenance, maintaining and updating metadata, and other data and information services for stakeholders.
- Develop, construct, test and maintain databases.
- Build data and analytics tools that will offer deeper insight into the pipeline, allowing for critical discoveries surrounding key performance indicators and customer activity.
- Recommend and implement ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality: evaluate, compare, and improve the different approaches including design patterns innovation, data lifecycle design, data ontology alignment, annotated datasets, and elastic search approaches.
- Work as the lead data strategist, identifying and integrating new datasets that can be leveraged.
- Document all processes, models, and activities to ensure that the application created will receive an authority to operate (ATO).
- Maintain currency with latest tradecraft and technology.
- Work closely with systems architects, data scientists, and analysts to direct and optimize the flow of data within the pipeline and ensure consistency of data delivery and use across multiple projects.
- Curate and collect the data from a variety of traditional and non-traditional sources: extract data from sources, transform and integrate data in line with existing data, and load data into data stores for access by others
- Other Positions locations available: Ft. Shafter, HI, Ft. Bragg, NC, Ft. Gordon, GA, Ft. Meade, MD, OCONUS - Middle East, Wiesbaden, Germany, Vicenza, Italy
- Current TS/SCI (may require CI Poly depending on location)
- BS in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field with at least 4 years of experience conducting work relevant to the specific labor category with experience within the last 2 years in a similar data engineer role; OR the following: AA in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field and 6 years of experience in a similar data engineer role.PLUS the following:
- Two years of experience handling databases and software development is preferred.
- Requires the following regarding languages, tools, and techniques: Data pipeline/workflow management tools such as but not limited to Apache Current DoD TS/SCI Security Clearance May require CI Polygraph depending on location NIFI, Apache Kafka, Azkaban and Airflow and cloud services such as AWS, EC2, EMR, RDS and Redshift.
- Know basics of algorithms and data structures, distributed computing, Hadoop cluster management, HDFS, MapReduce, stream-processing solutions such as Storm or Spark, big data querying tools, frameworks, messaging systems, and big data toolkits.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Knowledge of ETL tools, data APIs, data modeling, and data warehousing solutions. R, Python, Ruby, C++, Perl, Java, SAS, SPSS, and Matlab.
- MS in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field and 5+ years of experience in a similar data engineer role
- Five years intelligence analysis experience is desired (MOS 35/350 series or other DoD/IC equivalent).
Company EEO Statement
Avantus Federal is an equal opportunity employer and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) federal contractor. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other category protected by law. Avantus hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.