Ozow is the future of payment — a world-class payment platform for customers and merchants that is Ozow easy, Ozow fast, and Ozow secure. With benefits as big as our ambitions, we’re looking for candidates who can inspire us and be inspired by us. We’re striving to become the industry leader that provides the simplest and easiest way to pay. And while we’re on our way to building an inclusive payments market, we’re building an equally inclusive workforce. So, join us as we achieve big things and beyond.
More about this Ozow fantastic position
As a Data Scientist at Ozow you will be tasked to understand and enable the implementation of sophisticated models on big data. We are looking for a Data Scientist who enjoys diving into data from various departments and customer journey points; is excited about investigations and algorithms; can multi-task; and can credibly interface between scientists, engineers, and business stakeholders.
You must enjoy synthesising and communicating insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication, therefore enabling you to answer specific business questions and innovate for the future.
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
- Degree in a quantitative field such as Machine Learning, Data Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, or Economics
- 3 – 5 years of relevant working experience in an analytical role involving data extraction, analysis, statistical modeling, and communication
- Fluency in a scripting or computing language (e.g. Python, Scala, C++, Java, etc.)
- Proven experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL, Hadoop/Hive)
- Proven experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (millions to billions of rows) of data from different product groups and business functions
- Proven experience working with Machine Learning/Deep Learning for real-world problems
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Analysing large amounts of data from different functions and customer engagement points.
- Improving upon existing machine learning methodologies by developing new data sources, developing and testing model enhancements, running computational experiments, and fine-tuning model parameters for new models.
- Formalising assumptions about how models are expected to behave, creating definitions of outliers, developing methods to systematically identify these outliers, and explaining why they are reasonable or identifying fixes for them.
- Communicating verbally and in writing to business customers with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our research, as well as sharing insights and recommendations.
- Utilising code (Python, R, Scala, etc.) for analysing data and building statistical and machine learning models and algorithms.
Your skills and competencies:
- Analytical skills. You are able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. You exhibit a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Communication. You speak and write clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. You know when and how much information to communicate. You maintain this standard in all forms of written communication.
- You have experience creating new value within the business.
- Flexibility/ adaptability. You adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. You cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Follow-through on commitments. You live up to verbal and written agreements, regardless of personal cost. You focus on key priorities.
- High standards. You expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best.
- Honesty/ integrity. You do not cut corners ethically. You earn trust and maintain the confidence of your team. You do what is right, not just what is politically expedient. You speak plainly and truthfully.
- Innovation. You generate new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Intelligence. You learn quickly. You demonstrate the ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Giving and receiving feedback. You solicit feedback and receive feedback openly and graciously. You deliver feedback to your team or other stakeholders in ways that are respectful and actionable.
- Proactivity. You act without being told what to do. You bring new ideas to the company.
- Problem-solving. You are able to solve problems by analysing situations and applying critical thinking in order to resolve problem. You are able to decide on courses of action and implement the solutions developed in order to overcome problems and constraints.
- Teamwork. You reach out to peers and cooperate with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
Health and safety first
These are unprecedented times and because our people couldn’t be more important to us, health and safety couldn’t be more important to us. We’ve made sure that our office is a safe place to work and we’ll continue to do so, to ensure that we combat the spread of COVID-19
Benefits as big as our ambitions — huge
At Ozow, first and foremost, you’ll get to do meaningful work and grow your career. But we’re also not your average 9-5 company. We work together and play together and because we really care, we offer plenty of perks too.
Some of the things to look forward to:
Fitness challenges and healthy eating. Medical and Life insurance plans. Be the hero or toast the hero of the month at first-Friday drinks. Take half a day off from work on your birthday and let us celebrate this special day with you by giving you a little spoil. Your family is our family, they to get spoils and get to join us on special events. Our holistic wellness program will give you access to a toll-free confidential telephonic counselling line which is available in all 11 languages, 365 days a year. We thrive on seeing our team members grow by creating a learning culture. There is so much more where this came from, but enough to get you excited.
Convinced? We thought so.
If we seem like the kind of forward-thinking, progress-making, energetic company you’ve been waiting for, give us a shout. We’d love to hear from you.