The Database Administrator shall report to the Chief Decision Scientist.
A database administrator (DBA) that will keep the database up and running smoothly 24/7. The goal is to provide a seamless flow of information throughout the company, considering both backend data structure and frontend accessibility for end-users.
Duties and Responsibilities
He or she will perform the following duties personally:
- Build database systems of high availability and quality depending on each end user’s specialized role
- Design and implement database in accordance to end user’s information needs and views
- Define users and enable data distribution to the right user, in appropriate format and in a timely manner
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses
- Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to users
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity
- Monitor database performance, implement changes and apply new patches and versions when required
- Monitoring database efficiency
- Sustaining the security and integrity of data
- Creating complex query definitions that allow data to be extracted
- Training colleagues on how to input and extract data
- Secures database by developing policies, procedures, and controls.
- Ensuring all the data complies with legal and international regulations
- Maintains database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls.
- Prepares for database expansion by studying plans and requirements; advising senior technical management; coordinating design and programming.
- Keeps senior technical management informed by preparing reports on system performance and problems.
- Any other task as advised by the Chief Information Officer
Required Education & Experience
- B.Sc. degree in Engineering, Computer science or Information technology related course
- Minimum of 4years relevant work experience
- Relevant certifications are desirable (Microsoft Certified Database Administrator; Microsoft SQL Server Certification; Oracles Database Administrator; Oracle Certified Professional
- User support experience is desirable
Technical knowledge & skills –
- Storage technologies
- Understanding and Management of Cloud Technologies (AWS/Google Cloud/Azure)
- Knowledge of 'relational database management systems' (RDBMS), 'object-oriented database management systems' (OODBMS) and XML database management systems
- Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity and structured query language (SQL)
- Strong experience on SQL Server maintenance, Advanced SQL Server concepts like indexes, stored procedures e.t.c with an emphasis on database efficiency.
- Familiarity with database design, documentation and coding
- Previous experience with DBA case tools (frontend/backend) and third-party tools
- Up-to-date knowledge of technology and the Data Protection Act
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, where the technology is constantly changing
- Must be performance driven with a proven track record
- The ability to work quickly, under pressure and to deadlines
- Good communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and analytic skills
- Investigation & diagnostic skills