The role in a nutshell:
The world is changing.
We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as an individual.
Together, we're upgrading the world of work to unleash your potential and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Upgrading the entire planet to a new financial system is a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We’re changing the financial landscape, and to do so, we need the best team on board for our mission. In short, to achieve our goals, we need people with exceptional talent. As simple as that.
A little about us
- We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- We currently have over 6 million customers across 40 countries.
- We're part of the Digital Currency Group, a group of companies driving progress in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space that includes Grayscale, Genesis, Coindesk and Foundry Services
- Our platform has processed over $17 billion to date
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams from 43 different nationalities — working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
This is a leadership role whose primary concern is managerial and team-oriented providing guidance and direction to a team of Communication and Digital Marketing Designers, helping them become the best versions of themselves. In other words; you lean more towards delivering impact ‘through the management of others’ than that of an individual contributor, working on craft execution alone.
That said, you are also a skilled practitioner and are not entirely free from rolling up your sleeves and doing the work. You can bring your game when it comes to design delivery, earning both credibility and trust whilst demonstrating the same level of experience and excellence in your craft as a Lead.
Overall, however, you will focus less on individual contributor work and more on coaching and managing between 2 - 5 individuals, helping to refine ‘how we work’ and acting as an informal mentor to others in the team, beyond your direct reports.
As a key pivot point for design to scale successfully, you will report to the Head of Design, Clint Bryce and work closely with our Creative Director, editorial and content teams..
Our full stack design team consists of 5 Product Designers, a UX writer, and 4 Digital Designers and is currently 100% distributed, although based in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Dana Bay.
Your mission will involve
- Working in the service of ‘developing and enabling others’ in the Digital Design (marketing, communication and brand) team
- Mastering three lead archetypes; the coach (managing down), diplomat (managing across) and the champion (managing up and out)
- Building a strong and high performing team that is poised for future growth through development, coaching, clear expectation setting and a strong focus on employee experience
- To create a positive team environment that instills trust, accountability, encourages world class performance and ensures clear transparent communications to align around the overall vision of communications and brand perception
- Establishing strong relationships with diverse teams spanning all organisational levels
- Working with leaders within the organisation and develop a clear digital design “way of working” that you will ensure is applied in your teams and provides clarity to the rest of Luno, setting your team up for success
- Signifying leadership and communication skills (including presentation skills) with success in influencing all levels cross-functionally
- To recruit, manage (performance, discipline, leave) and guide your team to the next level, ensuring that Luno secures and develops the best talent in the Digital Design team
- In addition to the above, also practices design delivery on selected projects
In your first six months, you will
- Complete your onboarding program. After getting comfortable with the basics, you'll start learning our processes and teams in a safe, easy-to-follow way
- Dive into the world of crypto and get up to speed with the industry, exploring and understanding the relationship between fiat/old money and crypto
- Understand Luno’s brand, vision and product
- Meet the design team and build relationships with your reports’ content and editorial colleagues
- Participate in Design Team rituals and your reports’ Creative Studio ceremonies
- After completing the onboarding program, you'll begin your journey contributing to your team’s success. Starting with development plans for each of your team members, weekly 1:1s, improving existing policies and procedures. We succeed as a team, so we will provide you with regular feedback from your manager and peers and will encourage you to do the same.
What we’d like you to have
- You have at least 7 years experience as a Design Team Lead or as a Design Manager with a least 5 years experience in a people leadership role, coaching, mentoring and developing teams
- Experience building an-house design team function in a scaling organisation, managing, developing and growing others
- A proven track record of delivering results through others
- Strong people management and mentoring experience and skills
- Highly collaborative with outstanding relationship building skills
- Experience facilitating brainstorms, design sprints or workshops and mentoring others in the process of ideation
- You take control and exercise leadership to lead change by initiating action, giving direction and taking responsibility to ensure delivery of objectives/goals/tasks/projects.
- You are great in prioritising, planning and organising your day and can manage your time efficiently
- Working as a team comes naturally to you – it’s all about driving cooperation and teamwork to deliver results
- In order to excel in your role, a great balance between design, operational and managerial skills is inevitable
- Nothing holds you back, you have a positive and friendly disposition, with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A design and creative background advantageous
- Familiarity with cryptocurrencies is highly advantageous
Remote Life at Luno
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team that highly values diversity, teamwork, and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
- Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- You'll be able to continuously upskill yourself with access to free courses on Udemy, Coursera and CodeAcademy.
- For the crypto fans among you (should be everyone!), you'll pay 0 fees with Luno from the day you start
- Generous maternity / paternity and even (yes, you are reading it correctly) paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Apple all the way. New Macbook, mouse and keyboard.
- Annual Inspiration Day... like that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We are a social bunch of people, we have virtual quarterly activities and drinks Fridays for whoever wants to join!
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.