Who we are
At Okra, we are launching the tool that will usher in the 5th generation of FinTech in Africa. Our thesis is simply the fact that — financial innovation cannot exist without the right infrastructure (data). Essentially, how far the African Fintech industry can grow is intrinsically tied with the success of an infrastructure like Okra.
It’s an amazing time to join Okra. Our Engineering team is responsible for building tools and infrastructure to gather, analyze, and visualize financial data. We believe the way millions of people interact with their finances will change over time, and our Engineering team will be at the forefront of creating that experience.
You’ll be the person helping us achieve this vision. Your focus will be to grow our Engineering team, and partner with our product managers and engineers to build and maintain our core integrations. This is the most mission-critical component of our infrastructure. You’ll work closely with our CEO/CTO to build an organisational structure and processes that scale as we continue to grow.
The teams you’ll manage:
- Product (Engineering)
- Frontend Engineering
- Growth & Marketing
You’ll work closely with:
- Engineering & Product
- Data Science
- Sales Engineers
- Head, People
The successful candidate will:
- Recruit, grow, and enable an incredible team of driven engineers who have high expectations around craft, ownership and impact.
- Define the Front-end framework to solve complex designs and interactions that reflect the creative and art direction provided by the Product team.
- Foster a collaborative culture that embodies our principles and empowers users.
- Mentor and develop a team of engineers; supporting their goal setting and career growth.
- Deliver world-class results, while continuously challenging yourself and your team to “make it better”.
- Build a culture of engineering excellence with a focus on performance, scalability, privacy, and security.
- Work with other engineer managers and functional leads to set direction for your team, the engineering department, and Okra as a whole.
- Craft a thoughtful, long-term technical strategy that anticipates future needs.
Who you are:
- 4+ years of engineering management experience, leading teams of around 10 engineers.
- Strong knowledge of design principles.
- Significant experience as a software engineer.
- Willingness to roll your sleeves up and code when needed.
- Familiarity with Agile Methodology and Scrum framework for managing processes.
- Enterprise level MERN stack experience (emphasis on the RN).
- Passion for cultivating highly functioning teams and organizations.
- A record of leveling up your reports and providing individuals with meaningful opportunities for growth.
- Excitement for recruiting and a thoughtful approach to headcount planning.
- Experience building teams during a hyper-growth phase a huge plus.
- Experience leading remote and distributed teams.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.