Those in Single Engineer Groups (SEG) at GitLab work in the engineering department to initiate a planned or minimal maturity category into the GitLab project.
At GitLab, we believe in the power of a single engineer to accomplish amazing feats. Many open source projects started with a single engineer’s decision to build around a problem they personally experienced. For instance, Continuous Integration by DZ and GitLab Runner by Kamil. In single engineer groups, we create room for this energy.
We can guarantee a higher rate of success by incubating ideas inside our larger organization and existing code base while limiting the negative aspects of friction that come from a larger organization. A few benefits of SEG include:
- There are lots of decisions to be made, which happen more effectively in a single brain.
- There is not enough code for multiple people to work on without running into merge conflicts.
- Starting work earlier allows for more time for other people to contribute. We need to have a head start many years ahead of commercialization.
This Senior/Staff Fullstack Engineer will be working in the Product Analytics SEG.
- Develop features and improvements in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Work closely with company leadership to guide GitLab’s entry into the market represented by the SEG
- Interact with community members and help drive initial user adoption
- Develop strategies for scaling beyond the Incubation phase
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Regularly demonstrate progress to stake holders
- You meet the requirements for a Senior Backend Engineer (or above)
- You bring strong technical skills and an ability to work across backend, frontend, and infrastructure management code. Experience with Ruby/Rails or Go, Terraform/IaC, and Vue.js are particularly relevant given GitLab’s current tech stack
- You demonstrate a desire to work in a “startup within a startup” with a broad scope of ownership and high degree of autonomy.
- You must be excited about the ability to work independently, or have prior success in a similar "incubation" model
- You understand the competitive landscape and market opportunities in this domain
- You are comfortable with changing direction based on stakeholder feedback and market conditions
- You're passionate about great UX
- You have a background in building scalable services
You'll stand out if you bring experience in
- Being a prior company technical cofounder
- Being an early contributor to a successful open source project
- Working successfully on a prior single-engineer group
- Extensive familiarity with the GitLab project and application
- Working with people around the globe
- Have distributed systems experience