Lead Product Manager, Content Experiences
Wikimedia is looking for an experienced product manager in our Product department for a team that creates products and features for audiences in emerging digital communities around the world. The Product department builds the wiki experiences that enable our communities to achieve our vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. This is an opportunity to have a tremendous impact with one of the most beloved parts of the internet.
Wikipedia is one of the most popular media properties in the world, visited by over 1 billion people a month across over 300 different languages. All this knowledge is created and managed by more than 200,000 volunteer editors. This position is for the Inuka team at the Wikimedia Foundation. In Kiswahili Inuka means "to rise". and the mission of our team is to help everyone obtain and contribute reliable content on Wikimedia sites. Our aim is to make meaningful product innovations to build workflows that are visually rich, mobile friendly and multilingual. Connecting the large numbers of digitally underserved people who are globally dispersed provides unique opportunities to innovate. The challenge is to address the inherent inequity of knowledge on the Internet and use existing knowledge sharing practices to create solutions.
As the product manager with the Inuka team, you will work with community members, researchers, engineers, designers, program managers, and external & internal partners to drive the strategy, build the roadmap, and deliver products that excite and inspire people to consume, contribute and share free knowledge through innovative new forms. You will also be an important part of defining a broader strategy for our Product department.
For better overlap with the rest of the team, we will prefer candidates based in locations within UTC+0000 and UTC+0530.
You are responsible for:
- Developing and driving strategy for user experience on Wikipedia in alignment with trends evolving around emerging digital communities.
- Becoming an expert in the goals and challenges of users joining the Wikipedia community from different backgrounds, geographies, and experiences.
- Building the product roadmap; defining products, writing requirements, prototyping, developing and launching products and features for emerging digital communities.
- Managing products through the full product lifecycle, using both qualitative and quantitative methods to measure the impact of your work.
- Working with a cross-functional team to build products.
- Collaborating with volunteer community members around the world.
- Coordinating and collaborating across other departments, such as Marketing, Movement Communication, or Partnerships, that participate in expanding user engagement.
- Releasing and iterating intentionally to provide incremental value and validate hypotheses.
Skills and Experience:
- 3 to 5 years of demonstrable experience as a product manager or equivalent role defining, designing, building and managing user-facing web products
- Demonstrated success in growing a new user base or in launching new products
- Expertise in user-facing products, mobile application development and mobile user experience, creating demos and interactive prototypes
- Experience working with users in emerging digital communities, such as in the Middle East, Africa, South and SouthEast Asia, or Latin America
- Experience writing requirements with the ability to translate complex technical requirements
- Proficiency with data, reporting, analytics, or A/B testing
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Experience working in an agile or iterative software development environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to clearly communicate product plans and results to stakeholders and collaborators
- Ability to develop process and structure for an evolving team
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with a two-sided platform or marketplace product
- Enthusiasm for users who love to create and contribute
- Experience working with communities, volunteers, or open source projects
- Experience working in a fully remote, geographically distributed, and asynchronous teams
- Experience with digital marketing tactics
- Understanding related to assessment of regulatory and policy impacts on product
- Experience with products backed by machine-learning
- Experience editing Wikipedia or contributing to other wiki projects
- Fluency in a language other than English
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.