Zando was founded in 2012 and since then has grown exponentially to become South Africa’s biggest online fashion store. Zando forms part of the Jumia Group, the leading e-commmerce platform in Africa. With over 1 billion people and 500 million internet users in Africa, Jumia believes that e-commerce is making people's lives easier by helping them shop and pay for millions of products at the best prices wherever they live. E-commerce is also creating new opportunities for SMEs to grow, and job opportunities for a new generation to thrive. With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact in Africa and offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
As a PHP Developer you will design and develop web applications and modules for our eCommerce platform. Furthermore you will optimize our platform for scalability during peak traffic hours. Adhering to agile SW-development methodologies you will also ensure code quality and enforce best practices by communicating and sharing them to team members.
- Embrace ownership of the Zando tech stack.
- Refactoring where appropriate.
- Proactively proposing improvements and optimisations.
- Creating and implementing design plans.
- Ensure optimal quality assurance, through strict coding, proper solution design and appropriate testing.
- Timely, bug free deployments.
- Remaining current with industry trends and technological developments, particularly within e-Commerce.
- Drive project innovation by being cognisant of areas for improvement and forthcoming with solutions.
- Train / Mentor and support peers, participate in code reviews and providing feedback.
- Constantly observes, creates and accepts opportunities for growth.
- PHP 7, PHP 5 OOP, Laravel, Yii, MVC
- ZendExpressive (Part of ZendFramework)
- HTML5, CSS, Sass, jQuery
- REST, JSON, SOAP
- Ubuntu, Mac OS X, Nginx, MySQL ( mariadb), Memcache, Redis, Solr/Elasticsearch
- Google Cloud Hosting (advantageous)
- DevOps tools: New Relic, Puppet, Nagios, Cloudflare, Ansible, Jenkins (advantageous)
You come with:
- Knowledge of most of the keywords described above.
- Google Cloud Hosting and DevOps experience advantageous.
- Good understanding of Clean Code practices.
- Several years of experience in development with PHP5 OOP (Zend Framework experience is a plus, Yii, Symfony, Laravel and CakePHP are also valued).
- Experience with MySQL.
- A proactive, goal-oriented, reliable and self-structured way of working.
- Ability to live the Zando values:
- Delivers customer satisfaction;
- Leads completely;
- Embraces and drives change;
- Goes the extra mile;
- Is adventurous, open-minded and creative;
- Creates fun and a positive team spirit.
- Everyday use of modern development tools/frameworks.
- High degrees of responsibility and autonomy.
- Great opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Attractive working environment in a dynamically growing eCommerce sector involving steep training curves and flat command structure.
- *This appointment will be made in accordance with the Company’s Employment Equity Plan and preference will be given to people from Designated Groups and people with a disability, provided such job applicants meet the inherent criteria of the vacancy.* Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.