We are looking for a Scrum Master to join our Engineering team in Johannesburg.
The world is changing.
We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as individuals.
Together, we are upgrading the world of work to unleash the potential within and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Upgrading the entire planet to a new financial system is a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We’re changing the financial landscape, and to do so, well we need the best team on board for our mission. In short, to achieve our goals, we need rockstars. As simple as that.
A little about us:
- We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- We currently have over 7 million customers across 40 countries.
- We're part of the Digital Currency Group, a group of companies driving progress in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space that includes Grayscale, Genesis, Coindesk and Foundry Services.
- Our platform has processed over $21 billion to date.
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams from 43 different nationalities — working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
How we work
Our engineering team (currently ~100 engineers) is split into organisations which we call Fleets. Each Fleet focuses on a core customer journey (onboarding, security, payments, support, new business, growth and marketing etc.). Each of these fleets contains multiple smaller teams called Pods, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of the product.
Pods will include a product owner, product designer, back-end engineers, Android, iOS and Web developers, who each bring a unique perspective to the problem you are all contributing towards.
We're agile, use scrum, continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
In your first six months, you will:
...start at Luno by learning our processes, meeting the wider team and starting our engineering on-boarding program. After getting comfortable with the basics. You’ll meet the Pod(s) you’ll be working with and quickly align on the teams’ current OKRs and product roadmap. We succeed as a team, so we will provide you with regular feedback from your manager and peers and will encourage you to do the same.
Your mission will involve:
- Guiding 2-3 build team pods on how to use Agile practices and values to delight customers.
- Removing impediments or guiding the pods to remove impediments by finding the right solution.
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work, including inter-competency task coordination.
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially on grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example.
- Ticket management (Phabricator) - Backlog grooming, managing standups etc.
- Release Train Coordination - release notes, alignment with the Engineering Manager around timelines.
- Ensuring at all times that initiatives and priorities align with the organisational objectives and key results (OKRs) in conjunction with the Engineering Manager
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Experience in playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a software development team that was diligently applying Agile principles, practices, and theory. (Not specific to Scrum, Luno practices agile but not SCRUM specifically.)
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Knowledge of various well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown technologies, various Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.)
- Solid knowledge of a ticketing tool such as JIRA a must (We use Phabricator which is similar)
- Be friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
- Basic knowledge of and passion for digital currencies like Bitcoin
- A work permit for South Africa if you are not a South African citizen
Don’t be put off if you don’t tick all of the boxes – they’re a guide based on what we’d love to see but we appreciate that excellent software engineers have diverse backgrounds.
Remote Life at Luno
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team that highly values diversity, teamwork, and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
- Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- You'll be able to continuously up-skill yourself with access to free courses on Udemy, Coursera and Codeacademy.
- For the crypto fans among you (should be everyone!), you'll pay 0 fees with Luno from the day you start
- Generous maternity / paternity and even (yes, you are reading it correctly) paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Apple all the way. New Macbook, mouse and keyboard.
- Annual Inspiration Day... for that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
- Work is important, but your mental health should always take priority. At Luno, we do everything we can to make sure you lead a healthy and happy life. That's why Luno gives you free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You'll need to hold the legal right to work in South Africa already as we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Be part of the change! 🚀