Gitlab is looking for a Backend Engineer for the Release stage, which is part of GitLab's CI/CD product. In this role you will develop features in the product areas of Continuous Delivery and Release Automation. Visit our direction page for more information.
The Release group is a combined group which means that all the engineers, Frontend and Backend, report to a single Fullstack Manager, Engineering. The intention of using this model is to increase efficiency and drive results by building a process that supports the whole group's effort towards our goals. Primarily, this means that all engineers participate in conversations in the group and contribute broadly to group process iteration.
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Product Designers, Frontend Engineers and other stakeholders to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team, and propose and implement solutions.
- Ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
You should apply if:
- Professional experience with Ruby on Rails and GraphQL.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates.
- Aspiration toward building our culture of communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of an organization.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
You will stand out if:
- Experience with DevOps tools and application deployment models (Kubernetes, Docker, AWS/GCP/Azure)
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor.
- Experience working remotely
- Experience working for a product company or startup
Typical Hiring Process
- 30 minute screening call with the Recruiter
- 90 minute technical interview
- 60 minute behavioral panel interview
- 60 minute senior leader interview
- Reference Checks