Senior Community & Customer Care Specialist
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Community & Customer Care Specialist to support the Android and the iOs Apps teams in the Product Department.
Community Relations Specialists serve the Wikimedia Foundation, contributors and readers by supporting teams that collaborate with Wikimedia communities. This role will report to the Senior Manager of Community Relations Specialists and will support effective engagement between the Wikimedia Foundation staff, especially the Android and iOs teams, and Wikimedia readers and communities. We strive to engage a high quantity and diversity of Wikimedians in the Foundation’s projects to contribute to good common understanding, smooth collaboration, and strong results.
You are responsible for:
- Collecting, summarizing and escalating feedback from the Wikipedia apps' users; find points of contact or diverge with feedback from non-users in our wider community; figure out how to solicit more and more detailed feedback and involvement from app users .
- Building relationships and facilitating effective engagement between the Wikimedia communities, readers and the Apps teams.
- Write information to communicate plans, goals, and updates from the Apps teams to the Wikimedia communities in various channels (facilitated sessions, on-wiki discussions, surveys, newsletters, informational pages, etc).
- Identify key communities and volunteers to test and provide feedback for the Apps teams.
- Facilitate feedback sessions and regular two-way communication between Apps teams staff and online community members.
- Creatively use the existing systems, tools, and channels to maximize collaboration and communication between the Apps teams and the communities affected by their work.
- Help the Apps teams contextualize and understand community feedback to incorporate into immediate plans and mid-term strategy.
- Support the Apps teams in building relationships within the volunteer communities. (examples: advice on how to write a project page, what to say in difficult situations, learn-to-edit workshops)
- Maintaining awareness of developments in the Wikimedia movement and other departments that may affect the work of the Apps teams and use excellent judgment to determine needs and make recommendations for appropriate responses.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience processing feedback from apps' users, ideally for online communities with different types of audiences, and advocating for their needs.
- The ability to address problems of diverse scope.
- Demonstrated good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions & prioritizing workload.
- Experience working with multilingual and multicultural online communities; passion for online collaboration and constructive public discussion.
- Experience with hosting and/or participating in healthy and diverse conversations, on several communication tools, platforms and channels.
- Competence working in diverse teams partially or totally remote, sometimes at inconvenient times.
- Experience with ticket management, in-app feedback, bug tracking and product management tools like Zendesk, Jira, Asana, Phabricator, OTRS...
- Bachelor’s + 5 years of related exp; OR Master’s + 3 years of related experience; OR equivalent work experience.
- Fluency in 2+ languages.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills, with an ability to communicate with key stakeholders in styles ranging from precisely detailed to clear and simple, depending on context.
- Emotionally mature and self-reliant; tolerates ambiguity and maintains positive, respectful professional relationships.
- Organized, efficient, proactive, able to meet deadlines.
- Quick-learning and flexible, particularly around online communities, policies and technologies. Able to put aside personal feelings or stances and work toward common goals.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with advanced Wikimedia user rights
- Good knowledge of multiple Wikimedia communities’ dynamics, communication tools and channels.
- Experience using MediaWiki software (Translate extension, Translatewiki, Phabricator, MassMessage).
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.