About KOKO Networks
KOKO Networks is a venture-backed technology company currently operating in Kenya and India. Our mission is to imagine and deliver technology that transforms life in the world’s fastest growing cities. We build and deploy cloud-connected "KOKO Points" inside local retail outlets, which provide mass market consumer goods in partnership with major suppliers. Our first solution is liquid ethanol cooking fuel, which offers significant cost savings and quality of life improvements in the multi-billion dollar urban cooking market. In Kenya, this solution is delivered in partnership with Vivo Energy, the operator of Shell-branded fuel infrastructure across Africa. KOKO offers a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment with significant opportunities for professional growth. We are looking for people who share our passion for technology and our vision for global impact.
As KOKO grows within and outside Kenya, our team is looking for a motivated engineer who is passionate about data and who will lay the foundation for more effective and efficient data management, analytics, and developing insights in business strategy, operations planning, and product design.
As one of our first data engineers, you’ll work with our Business, Analytics, Product and other Engineering teams to enable them to do more with KOKO’s data, and faster. You’ll formulate a strategy for our data processing and data stores, and own implementation and maintenance of these designs, ensuring continued high performance and availability.
KOKO’s suite of products spans multiple technical domains and disciplines in software and hardware, and so experience in end-to-end systems thinking across distributed components is key for this role. IoT and real time data processing feature heavily in our technology suite.
What you will do
- Design, implement and support KOKO’s data infrastructure
- Design and implement ETL pipelines, selecting the most appropriate tools and products in collaboration with KOKO’s analytics, product and engineering teams
- Build logical and understandable data models and data stores to house data from KOKO’s various live products and other diverse data sources for consumption by other teams
- Build systems to track data quality and consistency, ensuring that our data is accurate & up to date
- Help continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service use of KOKO’s data (create tools that assist teams in this process).
- Keep our data secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and AWS regions
- As the team grows, help recruit and manage additional data engineers
- Represent the Data Engineering discipline during sprint planning meetings and retrospectives
- Help build the engineering culture at KOKO, attracting similar minded people with a passion for using technology to tackle hard challenges
What You Will Bring to KOKO
- At least three years experience in software development, data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or a related field
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- A track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development and optimisation, and data warehousing
- Experience working with big data technologies (preferably within AWS)
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong initiative, project management and organizational skills
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal, who is calm and decisive under pressure
- Proactive approach to knowledge sharing and developing best practices
- Strong experience taking part in sprints, being involved in planning, retrospectives and estimations with cross-functional teams
What We Offer
- Competitive salary plus a quarterly cash bonus
- Annual compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Discounted health insurance with no-cost financing for you and your dependents (in Kenya)
- 21 days of annual leave plus public holidays plus examination leave
- Ongoing investment in you and your skills, incl. full access to over 5,000 online courses
- The right equipment for the job - a choice of MacBook, Windows, or Linux laptop
KOKO is committed to gender and racial diversity in the workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply!