Senior PHP Developer (100% remote)
Posted on January 8th, 2024 | 43 days left to apply | 332 views
Annual base salary (This could vary from candidate to candidate)
- We view customer support as essential to making a good product. The problems and questions our customers bring to us are what create the foundation of every project we work on, so we are all involved in support in some way. This allows everyone in our company to be in tune with our customers and knowledgeable about our product and the way it’s being used.
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion. We are serious about everyone on our team feeling safe, comfortable, heard, and valued at work.
- We are self-funded. We are committed to growing responsibly and working creatively within the constraints of our own progress. Our goal is to make a useful, accessible product based on the needs of our customers, not the demands of investors.
- We believe that remote work is the future. Being a remote company offers us the ability to connect with a team of people from all around the world. We also understand that each person has their own unique approach to their workflow and we trust our employees to manage their own time within their set working hours while keeping in mind that this role includes time-sensitive work.
- We believe in quality, not quantity. We don’t use metrics or KPIs to measure the success of our teams. While productivity and response times are important, providing stellar support and empathy to our customers is the priority.
- We are generous. We teach and learn from each other on a daily basis. Decisions are often made collectively based on the wisdom and experience we each bring to the conversation.
About the role
- This is a full-time Senior PHP developer position. Our application is written in PHP and connects to over 300 third-party services to import and export orders, shipments, and product information to and from these other services.
- You will primarily be responsible for writing code by following best practices and standards, with guidance from our experienced Principal Engineer and Product Architect.
- The entire Order Desk team is generous with our knowledge and our time, and we teach and learn from each other daily. Decisions are often made collectively based on the experience we each bring to the conversation. We are willing to look beyond our ideas and comforts to grow our potential and do the right thing for our customers and each other.
- You can live anywhere in the world!
- You must be able to speak and write English fluently.
- You must be comfortable working during US business hours (PST - Pacific Standard Time).
- You’re a problem solver who likes to proactively find solutions rather than reactively respond to problems. Obstacles are not roadblocks to you; they are challenges to be figured out.
- You’re not afraid to ask questions, comfortable admitting your limitations and recognizing your gaps in knowledge not as flaws, but as opportunities to grow.
- You’re someone who can be self-directed and thrive in a remote environment.
- You appreciate the balance between levity and professionalism.
- You’re collaborative and thrive on sharing your thoughts, ideas, and problem-solving strategies with a diverse team.
- You’re a learner and always want to find better answers and solutions. You aren’t afraid to be wrong if you know you can learn from your mistakes.
- You are eager to make an impact on your team and your customers with the work you do.
- You should have 5+ years of experience in programming with PHP (a bonus if you have experience in legacy PHP).
- You are capable of debugging and troubleshooting complex systems and new code bases.
- You have a solid understanding of programming paradigms.
- You are comfortable creating feature branches, squashing your commits, and rebasing with the main branch before you push your work for review.
- You have a good understanding of SOLID principles. You should also have a solid understanding of design patterns and recognize where to implement them.
- You are excited to learn and implement new technologies and programming languages. You can find bottlenecks in code, infra, and storage.
- You can utilize appropriate libraries where needed and aren’t locked into using a particular PHP framework (Laravel, Symfony, etc.).
- You know how to collaborate with a team using Git.
You should have a solid understanding of:
- PHPUnit and unit testing
- Asynchronous programming PHP
- Interacting with 3rd party APIs
We don’t expect you to know our entire stack, but you should have working experience with and a solid understanding of most of our stack.
We are not expecting a cover letter and would rather you spend time answering the questions we have listed. We know it’s a little unconventional to go through a job application process like ours, but we are very intentional with the questions to give us a chance to get to know you. Don’t worry, we won’t ask you to complete a test or share your screen during a call because pressure produces diamonds and not our people.
There are a few steps to our application process:
If you are moved to the next round, we will contact you to let you know the next steps.
Our hiring team is pretty small so this process usually takes about 3-4 weeks, so we appreciate your patience while we review each application. By the conclusion of this process, we will follow up with everyone who applied.