About KOKO Networks
KOKO Networks is a venture-backed technology company currently operating in Kenya and India. Our mission is to imagine and deliver technology that transforms life in the world’s fastest growing cities. We build and deploy cloud-connected "KOKO Points" inside local retail outlets, which provide mass market consumer goods in partnership with major suppliers. Our first solution is liquid ethanol cooking fuel, which offers significant cost savings and quality of life improvements in the multi-billion dollar urban cooking market. In Kenya, this solution is delivered in partnership with Vivo Energy, the operator of Shell-branded fuel infrastructure across Africa. KOKO offers a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment with significant opportunities for professional growth. We are looking for people who share our passion for technology and our vision for global impact.
KOKO Networks is on a mission to imagine and deliver technology that transforms life in the world’s fastest growing cities. The role we’re looking to fill is a career defining opportunity for someone passionate about this mission and about design who wants to work with amazing teams of engineers, product managers, and delivery managers in Nairobi and Pune.
The products and solutions you’ll help design and shape touch hundreds of thousands of people in some of the fastest growing cities in the world every single day. You will own design for your product area(s) across the product development lifecycle – from new disruptive ideas all the way to detailed interactions and polished visuals that delight our colleagues, customers, and partners.
This role requires significant time spent with our customers, partners and colleagues in Nairobi and India. We will consider candidates based there or willing to relocate there.
What You Will Do
- You will build domain knowledge of KOKO’s business, markets, and internal realities as a combined software and hardware company… and how that influences our product experience
- You will work hand in hand with product managers and lead engineers throughout the discovery, design, and development process to bring great ideas to life
- With your cross-functional team, you will develop a keen understanding of our users and their needs – whether through user research, journey mapping, or experimentation
- From this understanding, you'll craft experiences and designs that help KOKO products and solutions address our users’ needs, using wireframing, prototyping, sketching/visualization, etc.
- You will use mixed usability testing methods to gather qualitative and quantitative data, translate that data into feature enhancements or new products
- You’ll use research to challenge and validate design decisions in an ongoing development process that strives to make the customer and user experience better
- You’ll promote leading techniques for user research, ideation, prototyping, design, and user testing
- Have a holistic view, understanding, and strong consideration of design and user experience, including layout, typography, colour theory, visual hierarchy, and working knowledge of Sketch or Adobe CC
What You Will Bring to KOKO
- 5+ years experience designing digital products and solutions, not just websites
- You have helped ship products
- You have a holistic understanding of product design, including visual design, experience design, and business acumen
- You have designed experiences that people can access on any type of device: desktop, tablet, phone
- You appreciate the entire product development process, from problem solving through to detailed visual and interaction design
- You have strong experience creating beautiful high-fidelity mockups as well as prototypes
- We prefer candidates who have experience working in businesses that combine software and hardware (with manufacturing and logistics)
- You’re entrepreneurial; you need little direction; you're self driven and show ownershipYou are an excellent communicator of design work and your rationale behind proposals
- You’re able to easily switch between thinking creatively and analytically for best results
What We Offer
- Competitive salary plus a quarterly cash bonus
- Annual compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Discounted health insurance with no-cost financing for you and your dependents (in Kenya)
- 21 days of annual leave plus public holidays plus examination leave
- Ongoing investment in you and your skills, incl. full access to over 5,000 online courses
- The right equipment for the job - a choice of MacBook, Windows, or Linux laptop
KOKO is committed to gender and racial diversity in the workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply!