About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Software Developer in the Data Intensive Research Initiative of South Africa (DIRISA) programme within the National Integration Cyberinfrastructure System (NICIS) which is hosted by the Next Generation Enterprise and Institution cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for developing, testing, deploying and maintaining operational ICT services and applications for data intensive research. This position is based in Pretoria.
More information about CSIR and DIRISA can be found at https://www.dirisa.ac.za and https://www.csir.co.za/nextgen-enterprises-and-institutions.
- Develop and implement bespoke operational data management and data intensive research ICT applications and services as part of the overall DIRISA research data management system;
- Contribute within a team and across business areas to develop, configure, test and validate code modules implementing system requirements to meet business needs;
- Integrate applications with existing and co-developed ICT services and infrastructures
- Remain abreast of latest programming and technology trends in the data science and data management world to ensure continuous innovation within the system;
- Develop, document, deploy and maintain code modules, APIs in cooperation with other team members;
- Install, configure, test and implement APIs and software libraries;
- Deploy and maintain software service modules in compliance with requirements specifications.
- Compile system documentation for all ICT applications and services developed.
- Contribute to research publications.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer sciences or computer engineering with at least three years’ programming experience in software development with a proven track record of delivery in large software systems;
- A postgraduate qualification in computer science or data science would be advantageous;
- At least two years’ programming experience in Java, PHP and Python;
- Solid understanding of the software development life cycle;
- Strong programming and debugging skills in an appropriate object orientated programming language, using Open Source Development tools and platforms;
- Working knowledge of:Maven and Tomcat;Containerisation and virtualisation environments;
- Maven and Tomcat;
- Containerisation and virtualisation environments;
- Evidence of delivering a project successfully and on time;
- Able to work within a DevOpsSec build-test development environment;
- Ability to rapidly develop compliant code modules;
- Coding experience across selected libraries, MVC frameworks and APIs;
- Knowledge of cloud computing, big data file systems and processing APIs such as OpenStack and iRODS would be advantageous.