**Senior Software Developer
**We are looking for an experienced software developer with a minimum of 5 years of work experience. You will be a part of testing and delivering brand new solutions for the trade ecosystem in collaboration with government agencies in East Africa, private sectors, TradeMark East Africa, and the IOTA Foundation.
We are building and testing the use of blockchain/distributed ledger technology (DLT) to support traders in East Africa to reach global markets by digitizing and simplifying the interactions with governments and border agencies.
The team will include 7 people plus support from teams in Trademark East Africa and within the IOTA Foundation. As an experienced software developer, your responsibilities will be to develop and test both backend and front-end components. Using the knowledge you gain of the system architecture, you should be able to deploy the components using the necessary tools, in both test and production environments.
The position is initially based on a 12-month contract with an opportunity for extension. The role is open to candidates in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda or Tanzania. The candidate will be expected to work remotely and must be open to travel in the region for meetings and workshops.
- Understand business and functional requirements of the industry of trade and logistics.
- Design, implement and deploy elegant APIs, SDKs, user experiences, and the underlying infrastructure
- Develop high-quality software solutions based on validated specifications
- Implement software development best practices
- Work effectively across different teams/partners to address problems and collaboratively arrive at solutions
- Be a part of a self-organising, results-oriented agile team
- Work autonomously and on a self-motivated basis, while maintaining a high degree of accountability and transparency
- Perform and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment where your work can change rapidly in response to customer feedback and data
- A computing-related degree, or equivalent industry experience
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience as a software engineer developing high quality code
- You write well-structured, efficient, and maintainable code and actively keep the quality of the codebase in check
- You have a solid understanding of REST API specification, design principles and related tools (Swagger, etc.)
- You have a solid understanding of (Web and native) front-end general development principles and the particular constraints and challenges on mobile
- You have demonstrable experience building mobile/web applications using modern frameworks (Svelte, React, ...)
- You are DevOps-Savvy i.e. can take DevOps tasks when needed, even though that is not the core of your job. At least shell scripting and Docker competence is expected
- Can build automated testing setups to diagnose problems.
- Constant challenges and ability to grow skills
- Being part of a growing team in East Africa
- Being part of a growing global organisation delivering cutting edge technology to global players
- Opportunity to be a high-impact contributor
- Work with the best engineers in their field
- Freedom in planning – with responsibility for delivering
- Casual and fun work environment.
The IOTA Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.