You will build and lead a small but high-performing team of UX designers who work across multiple product squads. You will guide their work, set strategy for the team, and work alongside product managers, engineers, and delivery managers to ship high quality product and user experiences.
The Senior UX Manager role at KOKO combines the skills of a very experienced designer and design manager. You will be responsible for the morale and design output of your team, coaching and leading them while also ‘jumping in’ on design work.
This is a high-leverage role for us. You will be our first UX leader and our most senior designer. You will report directly to our Chief Product Officer and be a member of the Product leadership team. We’re building an amazing UX team here at KOKO and you can help us right from the start.
This role requires significant time spent close to our customers, partners and colleagues in Nairobi. We will consider candidates based here or willing to relocate here.
What You Will Do
- You will lead, grow, and mentor a small but highly capable team of talented UX designers
- You build relationships with colleagues and executives across the organisation and effectively communicate process, design goals and approach for building experiences that are cohesive and well-informed
- You will define a UX vision, along with a plan for evolutionary, iterative updates, that move us towards that larger vision over time
- You’ll improve how we design and build product; work with product teams to produce elegant, practical, and coherent designs for users and customers; be an advocate for user-centred design
- You will also work directly on the design of products and solutions, focusing especially on higher-level strategic design work and the most complex design and usability challenges
- You will conduct and lead user research and collaborate with other teams to understand pain points and opportunities from our users’ perspective
- You’ll become an expert in our product domain, understanding the competitive landscape, where the market is going, and how those things relate to our product vision and strategy
- You will introduce and promote leading techniques for user research, ideation, prototyping, and user testing
- We use a suite of tools including Balsamiq, AdobeXD, and Zeplin to name just a few. We’re also quick to adopt better tools and processes, so you’ll be more than welcome to help shape our tool suite.
What You Will Bring to KOKO
- We are looking for a hands-on leader with a strong blend of business and technical savvy as well as strategic thinking and tactical execution, who is passionate about shaping markets in Kenya and beyond.
- 8+ years of product design & UX experience - ideally some in industrial/logistics settings and/or with a focus on complex flows and use cases across customer journeys
- At least 3 years building and leading a highly effective design organisation that has demonstrated excellence in product design
- Strong information design experience with a solid foundation in UX design heuristicsYou are a strong leader, very confident and competent at leading individuals and teams.
- You have excellent communication skills in any mediumYou have a growth mindset; a willingness to own problems.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity, have a passion for building product, a desire to make things better, and a sense of optimism
- You’re able to easily switch between thinking creatively and analytically for best results
- Ideally you have experience in a test-driven environment (A/B testing) and the ability to employ qualitative and quantitative data to generate insights that help inform design direction
What we offer
- We believe that our people are critical for our ambitious growth plans in Kenya and beyond. We want to build an organisation where people thrive, feel included, grow professionally, and enjoy having high impact through their work.
- Competitive salary plus a quarterly cash bonus
- Annual compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Discounted health insurance with no-cost financing for you and your dependents (in Kenya)
- 21 days of annual leave plus public holidays plus examination leave
- Ongoing investment in you and your skills, incl. full access to over 5,000 online courses
- The right equipment for the job - a choice of MacBook, Windows, or Linux laptop