Founded in 2015, JUMO’s mission is to empower emerging market entrepreneurs with financial choices.
At JUMO we believe that we have the opportunity in our lifetime to connect every entrepreneur to the financial products they need to grow and prosper. We need exceptional people in key roles to make that happen. Joining JUMO requires boldness, resilience, and innovation. You will need to embrace change and operate comfortably in uncharted territory.
Our environment is designed to foster innovation and enable collaboration, and you can work from any one of our Tech Hubs in South Africa, Kenya or Portugal. We operate a remote first working approach where working remotely is our default way of working. We have co-working spaces available in Cape Town and Nairobi for collaboration and connection and for the use of those who value and want to work out of an office. If you work from Porto we provide access to co-working spaces on a needs basis for collaboration and connection.
As a Software Engineer you will be accountable for solving complex technical problems in the fintech field with solutions that are scalable, testable, maintainable, and efficient. You will report to the Tech Lead.
In this role, you’ll
- Consistently write code that is easily testable, easily understood by other developers and accounts for edge cases and errors.
- Ensure that tasks are appropriately sized at the beginning for continuous integration and incremental delivery, weigh cost and value to make pragmatic decisions with help from teammates and manager.
- Create reasonable sized PRs with a description of changes, testing conducted and impact of deployment. Also reviews PRs with the lens of quality and value.
- Understands the testing pyramid and writes unit tests and service integration tests in accordance with it, as well as assisting in writing end-to-end tests
- Uses a systematic approach to debug issues located within a single service, and uses a range of tools to detect when there is an incident and raises this with stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Design functions that are aligned with the overall service architecture.
- Understand the importance of security and foster a security first mindset
- Helps their teammates overcome obstacles, resolve blockers, and complete work tasks. Volunteers for team tasks.
What you’ll need
- Experience with Python, and a cloud-based infrastructure, ideally AWS. Kotlin / Java / Scala experience will be an added advantage
- Experience designing, developing and testing software
- Hands-on experience with the design and development of high-volume/low-latency services
- Good communication skills & EQ – able to work in a diverse team
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
Things you’ll love
- Work in an agile cross-functional team, delivering quality code you can be proud of
- In collaboration with team members, successfully plan and deliver technologies that improve a major portion of a system/service design, product, application or process
- Work with a modern but pragmatic Tech Stack (i.e. Kotlin, Spring Boot, Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Datadog, Jenkins + Spinnaker for CI/CD, AWS), building a highly scalable distributed system
- Led and supported by an experienced, hands-on Tech Lead
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people
- Working for impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate new challenges
- Flexible & remote work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.