We are looking for a Blockchain Software Engineer to join our Engineering team.
The world is changing. We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as an individual, and we want to unleash your potential and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Luno welcomes crypto lovers and crypto newbies. You - just like everyone in the world - are on your own unique crypto-learning journey.
We are a mission-driven cryptocurrency company that is building more open and equal access to the future of money. You don’t have to know lots about crypto to be interested in joining us, you just have to feel that upgrading the world to a fairer financial system matters, and that you’d like to be part of this global change. We’re a passionate and committed team taking on a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We need the best team on board for our mission.
If that sounds like a culture you’d thrive in, then we are excited to hear from you.
A little about us
- Luno means moon in Esperanto, we chose the name because at night, wherever you are in the world, you look up at the same moon. We believe in the power of working together, as one team, across borders, with clear focus and shared purpose.
- Our popular mobile app and website helps people around the world grow and manage their money using the world's most mature cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum and USDC. We’ve processed over $21 billion to date.
- Over 7 million customers across 40 countries have chosen to hold their crypto wallets on Luno because we offer a delightfully simple experience and bank-grade security.
- We're part of the Digital Currency Group, named in 2021 as one of TIME magazine’s 100 Most Influential Companies, in the “Disruptors” category alongside Tesla, AirBnB, SpaceX, Peloton. TIME noted that DCG is “mainstreaming cryptocurrency”.
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams, with colleagues from 43 different nationalities working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria, Australia and Singapore. Financial inclusion is part of our mission, but on a deeper level, inclusion is a way of life, and a way of work for us. It is part of who we are as a company, and a group of human individuals.
How we work
Our engineering team (currently ~100 engineers) is split into organisations which we call Fleets. Each Fleet focuses on a core customer journey (onboarding, security, payments, support, new business, growth and marketing etc.). Each of these fleets contains multiple smaller teams called Pods, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of the product.
Pods will include a product owner, product designer, back-end engineers, Android, iOS and Web developers, who each bring a unique perspective to the problem you are all contributing towards.
We're agile, use scrum, continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
We're building teams to help us succeed in our mission to upgrade the world to a better financial system. You’ll be joining a group of highly motivated software engineers who you’ll work collaboratively with across our pods.
As a fast-growing company with offices around the world, you’ll immediately see how your contributions directly impact both our internal users and client experience. Many of the problems we are solving result in trail blazing solutions which can’t be found on Stack Overflow; so we’re looking for engineers who flourish working in a complex domain.
In your first six months, you will:
...start at Luno by learning our processes, meeting the wider team and starting our engineering on-boarding program. After getting comfortable with the basics, you'll start learning our idiomatic patterns in a safe, easy-to-follow way - by building your own toy micro services. You'll get to practice how we do design docs, code reviews, deployments, events, logging and monitoring.
You’ll meet the Pod(s) you’ll be working with and quickly align on the teams’ current OKRs and product roadmap. We succeed as a team, so we will provide you with regular feedback from your manager and peers and will encourage you to do the same.
Your mission will involve:
- Build distributed microservices that are accessed by 8m customers from across the globe.
- Writing code that directly affects users, the company and the Bitcoin ecosystem
- Using your software engineering experiences to design, build and maintain advanced applications services.
- Using your continuous improvement mindset and passion for cryptocurrency to constantly improve our cryptocurrency code at Luno
- Write testable, maintainable code for robustness and reliability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Work on bug fixing and improving application performance..
- Applying your drive to succeed to the ever changing world of cryptocurrencies\
- Extensive programming experience in at least one language such as Go, Java, C++, C#, Python, etc.
- A continuous improvement mindset.
- BSc/MSc/PhD in computer science or other technical discipline, or equivalent working experience
- A passion for software development, mobile technology and Bitcoin
- To be friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- A passion for blockchain and cryptocurrencies (you have experience working with the blockchain in a production environment).
- Experience in running bitcoin and ethereum nodes
- Extensive experience with ERC20 token standard
- Experience with multi-sig smart contracts
- A proven background in computer science in areas such as algorithms, data structures, and software design.
Don’t be put off if you don’t tick all of the boxes – they’re a guide based on what we’d love to see but we appreciate that excellent software engineers have diverse backgrounds.
Remote Life at Luno
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team that highly values diversity, teamwork, and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
- Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- You'll be able to continuously up-skill yourself with access to free courses on Udemy, Coursera and Codecademy.
- For the crypto fans among you (should be everyone!), you'll pay 0 fees with Luno from the day you start
- Generous maternity / paternity and even (yes, you are reading it correctly) paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Apple all the way. New Macbook, mouse and keyboard.
- Annual Inspiration Day... for that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
- Work is important, but your mental health should always take priority. At Luno, we do everything we can to make sure you lead a healthy and happy life. That's why Luno gives you free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You'll need to hold the legal right to work in South Africa already as we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Be part of the change! 🚀