At Ona, we don't just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth. We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We're looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
This position is to work on the OpenSRP team at Ona. OpenSRP is an open source mobile health platform that allows frontline health workers to electronically register and track the health of their entire client population. Read more about OpenSRP.
This role will report to an Engineering manager in the Digital health team and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Qualities we're looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user's problem is the end goal.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- Since we're a startup, you'll have to be a self-starter who is organized and can manage multiple projects at the same time.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span time zones and cultures.
- Since some of our team works remotely, you'll also need great communication skills and to be empathetic.
- You're ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Collaborate with the OpenSRP team, to maintain and support deployments in production.
- Triage reported support issues and create Github tickets detailing the nature of the issue.
- Fixing reported bugs in production deployments.
- Communicate with relevant stakeholders e.g. Project leads/managers e.t.c
- Coordinate and collaborate across various departments and teams on a daily basis, when solving post production support issues e.g Site Reliability Team, Data team, OpenSRP software engineers e.t.c
- Updating and maintaining the post production support knowledge base documentation.
- Conduct retrospectives with the team on major post production issues.
- Minimum 2 years programming production Android applications.
- Minimum 2 years programming production web applications in Java.
- Minimum 2 years working in a Linux environment.
- Experience with databases and their integration into web and Android applications.
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Experience working with remote teams.
- Experience with the Spring MVC Framework.
- Experience writing Kotlin and Python.
- Experience with OpenSRP, OpenMRS, DHIS2, and other EMRs / tools used in global health.
- Experience with Postgres, SQLite, other relational databases.
- Experience with Ansible, Terraform, AWS, Alibaba Cloud and/or other IaaS and infrastructure as code systems.
- Experience using Docker, Kubernetes, and KOPS.
- Experience using InfluxDB, Graphite, and Grafana.
- Experience using Monit, Nginx, and SystemD.
- Experience with or knowledge of FHIR HL7.
Please send the following:
- Note describing why you are interested in working for Ona.
- Updated resume.
- Portfolio of your work e.g. a link link to your GitHub page, projects you've completed, or your website.
- (Bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we've written.
- Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.