About the role:
The Compliance Manager for Africa will be responsible for supporting Crypto.com in its regulatory compliance obligations in the region, including the management of regulatory examinations and compliance independent reviews / external audits, preparing and submitting regulatory reporting in support of various licenses, maintaining program documentation and tracking and driving findings, recommendations and observations.
In this role, you will support the team in sustaining a world-class regulatory compliant regime, ensure robust policies and controls are in place across Crypto.com’s regulated businesses, and that the Company’s activities are always in line with regulatory change.
This role reports directly to the Head of Compliance for the region, with a dotted line to the GM for Africa (based in Johannesburg, SA).
- Monitoring and reviewing all developments within the regulatory environment of the business in Africa and actively developing Group wide technical knowledge in relation to the regulatory framework governing the company and its activities in the region.
- Preparing and implementing action plans to remedy any identified regulatory compliance shortfalls for the African market; escalating recommendations to senior leadership on the required actions.
- Ensuring that any updates to the legislative and regulatory framework are communicated to all stakeholders.
- Assisting with regulatory license applications and acting as our regulatory liaison in the region and as appropriate.
- Writing and advising on existing policies and procedures for the market.
- Overseeing the regional Compliance Monitoring Plan, identifying areas of non-compliance or partial compliance of the business through a GAP analysis of applicable laws and regulations.
- Managing internal compliance operational controls and carrying out independent reviews and examinations as required;
- Working with management and staff to ensure that the business implements and maintains suitable systems and controls to meet the regulatory requirements;
- Facilitating the development and maintenance of the appropriate compliance culture within the Company.
- Liaising with internal (ex: Legal, Compliance, IT, Security, etc) and external (external counsel, consultants, etc) stakeholders to ensure accurate reporting to regulatory bodies.
- Assisting with reporting and responding to law enforcement requests and inquiries;
- Preparing compliance audit data by compiling and analysing internal information;
- Assisting the Head of Compliance in responding to data requests from regulators.
- Investigating internal reports of known or suspected money laundering and/or terrorist financing activities in Africa.
- Using cutting edge technology to investigate all forms of financial crime.
- Compiling STRs/SAR reports and submitting these to the appropriate FIU/s.
- Working with our AML and EDD teams to carry out the role effectively, including providing support, where needed, on EDD investigations..
- Maintaining relationships with regulators and other relevant authorities.
- Staying up to date/responding to Intergovernmental Fintech Working Group consultations and guidance, the South African Reserve Bank, the Financial Sector Conduct Authority, local and regional FIUs (including the Financial Intelligence Centre in SA) and others.
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience working within (i) a regulated financial institution (payment service provider / e-money) or (ii) a regulatory authority; or (iii) a law firm handling compliance matters relating to AML, and applicable payments services laws and regulations.
- Locally recognised qualification/s related to the role (FSCA’s list of recognised qualifications).
- RE1 regulatory examination pass preferred.
- Experience within the digital assets industry (cryptocurrency) is strongly preferred and advantageous.
- Experience of using GoAML or similar reporting mechanisms for FIU submissions.
- Knowledge and experience of applying the South African Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) and other regional data protection legislation.
- An understanding of AML regulations and payments services legislation within the banking/financial services industry in South Africa and the wider African continent.
- Demonstrated an understanding of regulatory requirements vs. “best practices” in compliance is critical, coupled with the ability to distil and discern important information from regulatory guidance, statutes and regulations, audit findings, and determine how it impacts the business.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and a proven history of working effectively with people at all levels both inside and outside the Company and within and across a decentralised international and matrixed environment.
- Motivated and solution-oriented, with the ability to work successfully across multiple cultures and with demonstrated success working closely within a team as well as independently.
- Perform and execute to a high standard autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to execute under pressure whilst meeting deadlines. Must be adept at multitasking and able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Deep understanding of the fintech industry and related products is required.
- Experience interacting with local regulators is an advantage.
- Educated to a degree level, or equivalent work experience.
- We offer an attractive compensation package working in a cutting-edge field of combining cryptocurrency and financial services.
- Huge responsibilities from Day 1. Be the owner of your own learning curve. The possibilities are limitless and depend on you.
- You get to work in a very dynamic environment and be part of an international team.
- Flexible working.