Deputy Country Director, Operations
Location: Thies, Senegal
Report to: Country Director
About the candidate
Our ideal candidate is probably currently working in a large NGO or intergovernmental aid agency managing operations. From their position, she or he has managed one or more functions at country-level (e.g. Finance, Operations, Logistics etc.) and has a deep understanding of cross-functional planning and implementation.
From this experience, he or she can help myAgro deliver high quality operations on the ground every day, while simultaneously planning and monitoring multiple workstreams of activity. The ideal candidate does not have to be an expert in agriculture or ag finance, but does have experience in the social sector and in country operations. They need to be agile and collaborative with demonstrated experience in execution and an eye for detail. Finally, he or she can demonstrate that they can work and thrive in a multicultural and international environment.
About the role
myAgro is seeking a dynamic, engaging and skilled Deputy Country Director (DCD). The DCD will have delegated responsibility from the Country Director to own the management of the following functions at Country level:
- Product, IT
- Procurement & Logistics
The DCD will be responsible for overseeing the operations of these functions and aligning their work closely with the overall Country objectives, as well as with our core programs of Sales and Agriculture.
The DCD will be accountable for leading the planning and management of significant budgets and complex financial processes, as well as for our mission critical work in procuring and delivering seeds and fertilizers to our farmers ahead of season.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Country Director:
- Directly supervise and oversee staff in finance, product/IT, procurement & logistics and HR to -
- execute processes and the calendar of activities within each of these functions and thereby support overall Country objectives.
- align with Sales and Agriculture to manage risks, improve outcomes and deliver JOYOUS customer service to our farmers.
- Define and execute clear, short and mid term improvements to the efficiency of Finance, Logistics, and HR operations in-country.
- Delegate responsibly and effectively to ensure the most efficient implementation of a complex portfolio of activities.
- Design and execute key strategic/ cross-functional projects.
Support the Country Director by:
- Act on behalf of the Country Director and/or represent myAgro in meetings with the government, donors and other key stakeholders.
- Step in on an interim or temporary basis to manage/ provide oversight of other country teams (Sales, HR etc) as directed by the Country Director.
- Delegated authority to act as Country Director in the temporary absence of the Country Director, as directed by the Chief Operating Officer.
- Build a cohesive team where team members work together effectively across departments.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Minimum of 5 years with P&L responsibility, leading an operations team (Finance, Logistics, HR, etc).
- French and English fluency
- Great people manager skills – you have experience managing team managers and coaching them to improve performance and develop talent.
- Process orientated – you are an agile planner, process-oriented and can design systems or improve processes where needed in a durable way.
- Passion for our mission and organization
- Health insurance (including dental, vision and health coverage)
- Approximately 4 weeks of paid time off each year
- Professional development and laptop stipends
- Annual flight benefit
- The opportunity to make a difference for farmers everyday!
Application Process and Deadline
To apply, submit an application on our website. Include a cover letter (motivation letter) and a resume or CV. You should also complete the Plum survey. You can find a link to the Plum survey on the application form for the role. Please submit your application and documents in English. Only shortlisted candidates will contacted by our team.
There is no fixed deadline as we hire on a rolling basis. If someone else is selected while you are interviewing, we will let you know and consider your application for future positions. The interview process includes the application form, the Plum assessment, short virtual interviews and typically a short written assignment or a visit to the field or one of our offices.
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.