Global Communications Director
Location: Remote, US, preferably east coast or work east coast hours
Report to: Chief Development Officer
About the Role:
The Global Communications Director will oversee a team of four and partner with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and the Founder and CEO to develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan focused on our important partners–primarily donors and myAgro team members, but also other external audiences to promote organizational goals. For donors, you will lead communications and influence strategy for fundraising priorities for foundations, government, corporate, high-net-worth individuals, and other catalytic philanthropy audiences, deepening these valuable partnerships for myAgro. For myAgro team members, you will foster an equitable, diverse, and inclusive culture by ensuring that messaging and storytelling are reflective of myAgro’s values and support internal communications with clear and transparent messaging shared through appropriate channels. We are looking for a strategist and content creator adept in a global communications environment with broad communications experience.
Donor Communications (40%)
- Lead the communications strategy for identified myAgro priorities, including climate adaptation and mitigation, financial inclusion, female farmers, and more.
- Work with other teams to source and transform content into compelling audience-specific content for foundations, government, corporate, high-net-worth individuals, and other catalytic philanthropy audiences. This can include emails, blog posts, pitch decks, fact sheets, and videos. Manage consultants to support this work.
- Develop communications around moments such as International Women’s Day, Giving Tuesday, our end-of-year campaign, and other important announcements, adapting content for audiences.
- Work with Communications and Development Teams to identify, write, and design content for myAgro quarterly and annual reports.
- Lead the Communications Team in gathering stories, photos, and other requested donor-specific content for concept notes, proposals, and reports.
- Develop relationships with related organizations, coalition partners, and others to keep informed about their work and provide myAgro updates.
Communications Team Management and Leadership (40%)
- Be the spokesperson and run point on media interactions, building relationships with the media and other gatekeepers. Support all media appearances and events for myAgro spokespeople and high-profile visitors, providing media training and guidance and creating briefing documents and talking points.
- Prepare important documents, including talking points, articles, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material.
- Work across departments to create and refine myAgro’s brand voice with important messaging and visual identity that features farmer stories, main themes, and organizational voices/perspectives.
- Develop and oversee a thought leadership and executive visibility approach by sourcing opportunities that raise the international profile of the organization.
- Identify relevant platforms and audiences; craft tailored messaging to reach audiences in a way that creates broader awareness and support for myAgro.
- Support crisis communications by identifying the latest issues and working to create strategies that minimize reputational risk.
Internal communications (20%)
- Foster an equitable, diverse, and inclusive culture by ensuring that messaging and storytelling are reflective of myAgro’s values.
- Use communication campaigns and programs to keep employees engaged and motivated.
- In partnership with HR and leadership, create a positive employee experience and support internal communications with clear and transparent messaging communicated through appropriate channels.
- Degree in communications, journalism, public policy, international relations or related field with 5+ years of communications, journalism, international development or nonprofit experience.
- Ability in developing relationships with media, donors, and other partners on many levels and working with other important personnel and organizations.
- Comfort and ability to work in a flexible, collaborative and global work environment where teamwork and transparency are important to success.
- Familiarity with some of the most important issues of our work including food insecurity, poverty alleviation, and gender equality.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; other language proficiencies welcomed, and French is a plus.
- Health insurance (including dental, vision and health coverage)
- Approximately 4 weeks of paid time off each year
- Professional development and laptop stipends
- Co-working Space stipend
- The opportunity to make a difference for farmers everyday!
Application Process and Deadline
To apply, submit an application on our website. Include a cover letter (motivation letter) and a resume or CV. You should also complete the Plum survey. You can find a link to the Plum survey on the application form for the role. Please submit your application and documents in English. Only shortlisted candidates will contacted by our team.
There is no fixed deadline as we hire on a rolling basis. If someone else is selected while you are interviewing, we will let you know and consider your application for future positions. The interview process includes the application form, the Plum assessment, short virtual interviews and typically a short written assignment or a visit to the field or one of our offices.
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.