Who we are
The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. We build technology that affords new opportunities for governments, development organizations and actors to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve.
We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data — a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy — our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP a mobile health platform Ona is developing in partnership with the World Health Organization.
We are looking for a Head of Human resource. This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the Director of Operations.
Purpose of the role
As a part of the leadership team, the Head of Human Resource (HHR) will be responsible for optimizing all human resource functions , they will lead and advise on company growth, strategy implementation, and cultural transformation.
The role requires a doer, who is capable of rolling up their sleeves to execute solutions and operate a strategic People function. They should be an expert facilitator and process designer, and have exceptional skills working with team members globally and at all levels of the company.
Key roles and responsibilities
Leadership, Strategy & Vision
- Develop and implement human resources strategies that align with the overall mission and vision of the company. resulting in innovative, best practices and policies that will help build a high-performing equitable and inclusive culture of learning, accountability, transparency and collaboration.
- Create and preserve a culture of trust, transparency, safeguarding diversity, equity, and inclusion across the company.
- Liaise with the finance department, oversee the HR budget business development process on matters of staff development.
- Ensure people systems are highly functioning, driving workflow efficiencies, data, and insights on our global team.
- Lead all safeguarding efforts to ensure the safety of the Ona team members and project participants.
- Respond to the Human resource requests for a global team working in different geographic locations.
- Oversee the team’s well being, by ensuring that policies, systems and support infrastructure are in place to help team members thrive in situations of day-day stress as well as in extremis.
- Serve as a resource for managers by coaching and mentoring senior managers effectively using the full array of HR tools, processes and policies.
- Initiate and participate in organizational performance reviews and business process improvement programs, as well as undertake special research aimed at improving organizational effectiveness.
- Lead and coordinate the Organizational development process, in order to advise the leadership team on what change management actions need to take place.
- Communicate company’s values, ensuring they come through in all key initiatives.
- Advise the leadership team on ways to enhance talent attraction and retention, to ensure a strong employer brand that focuses on the diversity of our global team.
- Advise, define and implement rewards & recognition strategy(s), to ensure competitive pay / benefits.
- Define and establish in-house employee training activities that address company needs including; training needs assessment, new employee onboarding or orientation, personnel trainings on culture, diversity, sexual harassment etc.
Hiring and Recruitment
- Oversee the implementation of all phases of recruitment from advertising, screening, shortlisting, interviewing, reference checks, orientation and final job placement.
- Working with the Hiring leads & the Senior people specialist to create and/or revise job descriptions and terms of reference.
- Ensure consistent compliance with global labor and legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation thereafter advising the leadership team on needed action.
- By serving as the company’s primary contract person, protect the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations.
- Bachelor's degree required, MA preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in human resources management and related functions in a global team with at least 5 years in a similar role.
- Broad global knowledge and experience in labor law, talent management, compensation, organization planning, compensation, employee relations, performance management, training and development.
- Knowledge of the labor legislation governing the labor market. (OSHA, WIBA and Kenya Employment Act.)
- Experience in using HRIS preferred.
- Full membership of IHRM
- Human resource certification is a plus (SPHR, GPHR,CIPD).
- Proficient in French or any other foreign language.
- Master’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field.
- Experience working in a technology firm / with technologists preferred.
- Right to live and work in Kenya.
How to apply
Please send the following:
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and working at Ona.
- Resume or CV.
Note we will only contact shortlisted candidates.