Hey! We’re ikeja, with a lowercase “i”, always. We’re a home-grown tech company that builds tools and services which enable affordable internet access to Ekasi.
ikeja exists to remove the financial barrier to true unlimited internet access for those in the townships of South Africa, with uncapped internet starting as low as R5, while providing the absolute best customer service and experience possible.
ikeja has a culture of innovation, urgency, frugality and perfection and is led by founders who are relentless in creating a company that dominates the segment and controls the township connectivity ecosystem. We’re looking for people who are inspired by this mission and can help us achieve it.The Role
All marketing activities within the company have up until this point been performed by the founders. We feel we have a great base to start from, however the time has come to establish a stand alone marketing function and for someone to make it their own.If you believe in the power of storytelling, are passionate for all things branding, know that ekasi, the township or “informal sector” is a vibrant market with the best social community in South Africa and agree that providing the internet to the mass majority of South Africa extends far beyond a transactional relationship, this may just be the role for you!
Initially, all marketing responsibilities will fall on your shoulders, you will be getting in on the ground floor. That means everything from coordination, creative, digital, management and the mundane tasks. You will be a generalist and manage outside resources, until it's the right time to build a team under you when the company is ready to bring all marketing functions in house. It is likely as the department matures there will be further growth as you will report to a senior marketing specialist or CMO.
We’re not interested in fancy titles or past seniority for this position, however you must have at least 3-5 years’ experience in a marketing role or at an agency, demonstrable track record and portfolio of work. Having worked in a start-up environment would be an advantage for this role.
Objectives of the role 📝
- To quickly understand where the company is in terms of it’s market position thereafter establish a rhythm for the marketing function of the company by leading and developing the brand strategy.
- To prepare, and advise the executive team on marketing budgets, with the mantra of doing things better and more, with less.
- Establish an annual marketing calendar with integrated campaign and content planning and to execute against this calendar.
- Establish positioning within the telecoms and informal market space, identify target audiences within these subsections, and develop marketing plans with specific objectives across different channels and segments
- Lead the execution of ikeja’s digital channel and performance media strategy, evaluate digital media and performance media houses, and choose an appropriate partner
- Manage all coordination functions related to external partners and content creators.
- Strengthen relationships with ikeja’s current distribution partners and leverage these partnerships for collaborative campaigns.
- Establish relationships with complimentary brands or organisations within the informal sector for collaborative campaigns that drive brand or product endorsement within a community.
- Drive brand loyalty by the establishment of story teller marketing campaigns and avenues.
- Analyze customer and competitor insights, consumer trends, market analysis, and marketing best practices to build successful strategies for both digital and traditional media.
- Ensure consistency in brand voice, messaging, style and experience across traditional and digital media.
- Create, maintain, and conduct analytics reporting across multiple platforms and gather insights to evolve brand metrics for future campaign development and go-to-market strategies.
- Constantly evaluate and test the performance of marketing strategy implementations to derive acquisition costs and evolve lead nurturing tactics.
- Experience conceptualising and managing initiatives from start to finish, with evidence of business outcome.
Key Requirements ✔️
- You have at least 3 years experience in Brand Marketing within an agency, startup, or within a company.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or related field
- Can demonstrate a portfolio of career work
- You are well-versed and comfortable with the full spectrum of media tools; ranging from leveraging traditional platforms to the far edge of social platforms such as instagram and tik-tok
- Proficiency with online marketing and social media strategy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in developing or being involved with a team who developed marketing plans and campaigns
- Creative by nature, however have the ability to make quantitative metrics based decisions.
- Experience with marketing automation and CRM tools
- Strong presentation skills, and ability to sell and portray your ideas as well as you do in person as on paper.
Bonus Points 💯
- Experience in working with a Telecommunications or ISP brand.
- Experience in working with a mass / informal market brand
- Worked in a start-up environment would be an advantage for this role.
- Previous experience in a startup environment – gearing to scale
- Experience in a fast-paced and agile environment
- Grew up or live in one of the areas that we serve.
- Currently Reside in Johannesburg
Why you should join us 🚀
- The opportunity to grow both in your personal and professional capacity - you'll get to work with extremely smart and capable people, who come from all walks of life and career backgrounds.
- Comfort in joining a fast growing internet startup with a long monetary runway that finds itself in the telecommunications space. A sector which has been somewhat sheltered from the effects of the current global pandemic.
- A bucketful of challenging problems to solve, so hopefully that's your thing!
- Working for impact - as we solve lower LSM internet connectivity in South Africa.
Why you should not join us 🙅♂️
- You only want to be working to the bare minimum of your role and don’t want to embrace its full spectrum or be 'in the trenches'.
- You’re looking for a very structured environment where nothing ever changes, and you're not open to learning new things.