Posted on February 22nd, 2021 | 49 days left to apply | 6 views
Amazon Development Centre South Africa is seeking a very strong technical leader to manage and grow an engineering team. This requires a thorough knowledge of what it takes to develop scalable, extensible technology, as well as how to structure and develop organizations. This presents a significant intellectual, technical and operational challenge.
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) is the web service that is pioneering cloud computing by providing resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It gives any developer complete control of their computing resources and lets them run on Amazon's proven computing environment. We are continuing to build the team in order to expand on our feature set and manage our rapidly increasing scale. We are expanding our capacity management initiatives to support high growth at large scales and create novel markets to support the computing needs of our customers.
We are a diverse team which is is dedicated to supporting new members. We’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy mentoring more junior members. This includes both helping to onboard new hires, and supporting continued career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks that will help each team member to develop their skills, allowing them to take on more complex tasks as they progress.
The ideal candidate will be clearly passionate about the large opportunity that Amazon EC2 presents and about web services in general. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality solutions in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast. The position demands excellent technical skills and knowledge coupled with strong leadership, planning, and management abilities. Knowledge and experience with one or more development methodologies, and experience developing engineering process is required.
· Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.
· Responsible for the over-all systems development life cycle
· Delivery of quality applications on-time and on-budget
· Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
· Management of departmental resources, staffing, and enhancing and maintaining a best- of-class engineering team
· Evolution of the software engineering practice within the organization, including better reporting, tools, and evolution of development methodology
· Work closely with the architects to develop the best technical design and approach for product development
· Maintain current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology
· Continue to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
· Create and execute appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
· Develop and execute unit testing strategy and processes.
· Drive and manage the bug triage process, represent development team in project meetings to ensure efficient testing and bug fixing process, and be an effective advocate for the development group
· Report on status of product quality to management, customer support and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.
· 5-10 years experience in Software development and 2-5 years as Development Manager
· BS in Computer Science or equivalent
· Experience with a programming language such as Java, C# or C/C++
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Able to work in a diverse team
· Knowledge of MySQL.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.