About the job
Are you a seasoned engineer, with a breadth of experience in building & shipping products? Do you have high standards when it comes to what good code is and what it takes to build high-quality, fault-tolerant software? Are you ready to own the codebase of a full-blown enterprise product, act as a technical lead for it and take it from stormy waters into more clear ones? If so, then this job is for you.
Join us in migrating software into cloud-native applications. We re-design, re-build, and re-factor products before re-deploying them as true cloud-native applications using the full-range of services. This is a great role for technical experts looking to grow their responsibility without taking on managerial tasks. This role is deeply technical: it is not project management, HR management, or agile scrum master. You will not waste your time on non-technical activities. We want your technical expertise!
What You Will Be Doing
- Identifying the true root cause of complex software problems
- Rejecting bad code changes
- Simplifying and communicating complex software architectures using the C4 model
- Building comprehensive test plans using Google's ACC methodology
- Driving full CI/CD implementation for the products under your responsibility
What You Won’t Be Doing
- Dealing with pressures to implement technical decisions made by senior leaders, project managers and bureaucrats
- Being a slave to project plans, budgets and risk avoidance
- Managing developers or a scrum process
- Attending frequent meetings
- Coaching engineers individually
Software Engineer Key Responsibilities
- Becoming the go-to expert on products to which you are assigned
- Upholding high standards on fundamental data structures, algorithms, and architectural best practices
- The quality of all code in your product, and the accuracy and completeness of your architecture artifacts
- Digging deep into issues to identify root causes
- A degree in computer science or the commercial equivalent
- At least 3 years of responsibility for architecture as a designer
- At least 3 years of experience in cloud or on-prem infrastructure
- Expertise designing CI/CD pipelines
- Deep familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or Google
- Experience in containerization, Docker and Kubernetes
Crossover has been a pioneer of the remote work model since our inception in 2010 - helping thousands of people advance their careers. We focus on full-time, long-term work - not short-term "gigs" or freelancing side jobs. Our platform provides businesses with the fairest hiring on earth by basing 90% of the decisions on objective assessments of a candidate's skills and abilities to perform Real Work. Since we are 100% remote, people can work from anywhere and earn standardized and competitive compensation, regardless of where they choose to live.
There is so much to cover for this exciting role, and space here is limited. Hit the Apply button if you found this interesting and want to learn more. We look forward to meeting you!
What to expect next:
- You will receive an email with a link to start your self-paced, online job application.
- Our hiring platform will guide you through a series of online “screening” assessments to check for basic job fit, job-related skills, and finally a few real-world job-specific assignments.
- You will be paired up with one of our recruiting specialists who can answer questions you might have about the process, role, or company, and help you get to the final interview step.
Important! If you do not receive an email from us:
- First, emails may take up to 15 minutes to send, refresh and check again.
- Second, check your spam and junk folders for an email from Crossover.com, mark as “Not Spam” since you will receive other emails as well.
- Third, we will send to whatever email account you indicated on the Apply form - by default, that is the email address you use as your LinkedIn username and it might be different than the one you have already checked.
- If all else fails, just reset your password by visiting https://www.crossover.com/auth/reset-password if you already applied using LinkedIn EasyApply.
Crossover Job Code: LJ-3888-KE-Nairobi-SoftwareEngine1.003