Hey! We’re ikeja, with a lowercase “i”, always. We’re a home-grown tech company that builds tools and services which enable affordable internet access to Ekasi (Ekasi is a township slang meaning 'my community’).
ikeja exists to remove the financial barrier to true unlimited internet access for those in the townships of South Africa, while providing the absolute best customer service and experience possible.
Ikeja has a culture of innovation, urgency, frugality and perfection and is led by founders who are relentless in creating a company that dominates the segment and controls the township connectivity ecosystem. We’re looking for people who are inspired by this mission and can help us achieve it.
We are seeking a seasoned dynamic, diligent, and proactive Talent Acquisition Manager to work with various stakeholders to execute a range of duties related to the company's evolving and critical internal recruitment function.
The Talent Acquisition Manager role will work closely with the Head of Human Operations to deliver on all ikeja’s current and future hiring needs. An ideal candidate for this position is one which possesses a wealth of experience in recruitment, with a proven track record of securing successful placements across a diverse range of job titles and/or functions.
In order to secure the right talent, this role must be a good judge of character and a strategic thinker who is able to be target-driven all the while keeping ‘cultural-fit’ at the forefront of everything they do. Furthermore, this role demands that you be self-directed (high-level of accountability), detail orientated, personable and a strong negotiator.
If you are motivated and driven to take on the opportunity and challenge to come on board and play an integral role in the expansion of our fast-growing team and this is something which excites and energizes you – we would love to hear from you!
Location: Midrand, Johannesburg
Education level: Postgraduate
Seniority level: Senior
Position: Talent Acquisition Manager
Responsibilities of the role
- Work closely with the Head of Human Operations and the executive team to understand the strategic direction of the business
- Co-ordinate with departmental leaders to determine hiring needs and the scope of those needs
- Set recruitment goals and improve on the current recruitment strategy
- Take complete ownership of the internal recruitment function:Refine and update our current recruiting processComplement the current process by introducing additional recruitment tools and strategiesCompile job advertsSource and attract candidatesScreen applicants (background checks and phone screens)Schedule and conduct interviewsCarry out post-interview evaluationsProvide advice to departmental leadersAssist in facilitating the onboarding processAssist in devising ways of retaining top talent
- Refine and update our current recruiting process
- Complement the current process by introducing additional recruitment tools and strategies
- Compile job adverts
- Source and attract candidates
- Screen applicants (background checks and phone screens)
- Schedule and conduct interviews
- Carry out post-interview evaluations
- Provide advice to departmental leaders
- Assist in facilitating the onboarding process
- Assist in devising ways of retaining top talent
- Continuously manage and fully exhaust the capabilities of our chosen Applicant Tracking System (ATS)
- Keep track of recruiting metrics (e.g. time-to-hire and cost-per-hire) and report findings to the executive team
- Adhere to recruitment budgets
- Fully take on the responsibility of providing a unique and enjoyable candidate experience
- Implement ways to improve our ‘employer brand’
- Engage in forming strategic partnershipsBuild ikeja’s professional network through relationships with HR professionals, colleges and other partnersCultivate and foster long-lasting relationships
- Build ikeja’s professional network through relationships with HR professionals, colleges and other partners
- Cultivate and foster long-lasting relationships
- Ultimately grow the recruitment team, starting with acquiring a recruitment administrator
- Keep up with and implement current and future recruitment/ industry trends
- Fully live out the ikeja values and drive the ikeja culture across the business
- Relevant tertiary education in Human Resources Management or Organizational/Industrial Psychology
- Post-graduate qualification is recommended
- +- 5 years’ experience in a Recruitment role
- Proven work experience as a Recruiting Manager, Recruitment Consultant or Recruiting Coordinator
- Demonstrated experience in talent and transformation strategies at organisational level
- Hands-on experience with Applicant Tracking Systems and HR databases
- Knowledge of South African labour legislation
- Proven experience in being intimately involved in the expansion of a team gearing to scale
- A proven portfolio of successfully placing candidates - across a variety of roles
- Proven experience in designing and implementing a recruitment process and/or strategy
- Experience with (phone and in-person) interviews, candidate screening and post-interview evaluation
- Experience in carrying out psychometric and situational judgment testing
- Familiarity with social media, job boards and other sourcing tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication and team management skills
- A keen interest in technology and/or telecommunications
What makes you a good fit for the role?
- You are honest and ethical
- You are a competent communicator
- You are confident
- You are customer focused
- You are a good listener
- You are goal-orientated
- You have strong problem-solving, time management and decision-making skills
- You are strategic and a strong systems thinker
- You are comfortable with taking on a high level of accountability
- You are personable
- You are proactive and take initiative
- You are entrepreneurial in nature
- You are organized and detail orientated
- You are passionate about securing long-lasting talent
- You are passionate about serving multiple communities in South Africa
- Experience in the telecommunications space (or similar field)
- Previous experience in a start up environment – gearing to scale
- Experience in a fast-paced and agile environment
- Reside in Johannesburg
Why you should join us 🚀
- The opportunity to grow both in your personal and professional capacity - you'll get to work with extremely smart and capable people, who come from all walks of life and career backgrounds.
- Comfort in joining a fast growing internet startup with a long monetary runway that finds itself in the telecommunications space. A sector which has been somewhat sheltered from the effects of the current global pandemic.
- A bucketful of challenging problems to solve, so hopefully that's your thing!
- Working for impact - as we solve lower LSM internet connectivity in South Africa.
Why you should not join us 🙅♂️
- You only want to be working to the bare minimum of your role and don’t want to embrace its full spectrum or be 'in the trenches'.
- You’re looking for a very structured environment where nothing ever changes, and you're not open to learning new things.